2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Bottom seam leaking? Scary situation  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Miles

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Bottom seam leaking? Scary situation
« on: January 12, 2019, 12:33:37 »
So we went to my in-laws house for breakfast this morning... I get home around 11:30 and notice a bunch of salt creep at the bottom of my tank along the plastic frame. There was also obvious signs of a big splash out the top, salt creep down the side of the aquarium and a bunch in one spot on the frame.

I started to get scared when I noticed that the salt creep was all around the front 3 sides of the frame... and then i started to actually see water. At this point I started using a paper towel to wick it out of the crack and started noticing water between the frame and the foam under the tank....

So as it stand right now, I have drained about 40 gals (out of 150), and I've dried up as much as I can from the crack between the frame and the glass and hoping i twas just a splash from one of the larger fish. My concern is that it seems like a lot of water for a single splash to fill the crack all the way around the tank and also leave salt creep.....

I'm really hoping that it isn't a failing bottom seam.... anyone ever had a bottom seem fail?

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
Re: Bottom seam leaking? Scary situation
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 13:56:43 »
Unfortunately, I have. I had the bottom corner of my 75 fail. Came home for lunch one day and when I walked into the living room my carpet was squishy. Opened the door to my cabinet and it was full of water with a steady drip coming from the front corner. Called in for the remainder of the day to get the tank drained and everything safe.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 14:40:21 »
So... I dried everything really well and have been keeping a real close eye on it for a couple hours. I haven’t been able to wick up any more water between the frame and the glass since when I first noticed it. I think I’m probably fine, it must have been some sort of freak splash where all the water went directly down the side of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 20:37:05 »
That's relieving news.