2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Curing Rock...just a thought  (Read 2927 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Curing Rock...just a thought
« on: March 29, 2018, 11:23:46 »
Well I started curing about 15 pounds of old live rock that’s been dry for a few months. Running it in the basement with a powerhead. I am curious.... would it be beneficial to add some bio-spira or equivalent bacteria to the bucket so that the rock is nicely populated after 2-3 weeks? Would like to get thoughts and opinions...

Offline AnotherPlanet

• Juvenile
  • Follow me on Instagram @ anotherplanet_reef
Re: Curing Rock...just a thought
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 11:26:41 »
Well I started curing about 15 pounds of old live rock that’s been dry for a few months. Running it in the basement with a powerhead. I am curious.... would it be beneficial to add some bio-spira or equivalent bacteria to the bucket so that the rock is nicely populated after 2-3 weeks? Would like to get thoughts and opinions...
Add a bottle of dr Tim’s one and only. You need that beneficial bacteria to really start the cycle. Then you can dose ammonia chloride or toss some frozen fish food or shrimp in their to cause a nitrate spike. You absolutely need to intentionally spike the nitrates after a week or two, that’s how you can tell that the bacteria has grown and can break down the nitrates. Then your rock is cycled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Follow me on Instagram @ anotherplanet_reef

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 12:41:43 »
AP, thanks for the input. I have never added bacteria to my rock curing. Never thought about it til today. I’ll have to order some of that.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 13:43:07 »
AP, thanks for the input. I have never added bacteria to my rock curing. Never thought about it til today. I’ll have to order some of that.
I use API quick cycle at this stage. Does the same thing, a lot cheaper, and usually in stock at PETCO.

Then I use bio Spira and Dr Tim’s when adding fish.

It costs HOW much?!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 13:50:12 »
I used F&S bacteria on my QT a few months ago. The bottle does not say whether to refrigerate it after opening or not. It doesn’t smell bad, do you think this would be OK to add to the cure bucket?
I use API quick cycle at this stage. Does the same thing, a lot cheaper, and usually in stock at PETCO.

Then I use bio Spira and Dr Tim’s when adding fish.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 14:48:27 »
I used F&S bacteria on my QT a few months ago. The bottle does not say whether to refrigerate it after opening or not. It doesn’t smell bad, do you think this would be OK to add to the cure bucket?

I would think its still ok,

You can add it then start running your basic tests after a couple day to see if its working.

If not, well, it was no good anyway!
It costs HOW much?!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 15:13:12 »
Lol, good point. Thanks Mta!

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult