2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Phosphate discussion  (Read 1475 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Phosphate discussion
« on: August 06, 2018, 10:34:59 »
I am curious what others’ experience is with phosphate. I know the target range is roughly .02-.08. I would like to know what level of phosphate do you start noticing it in your corals and what happens to them visually. Is it just color? Do you see die off? Etc. Thanks.

Offline erky

• Adult
Re: Phosphate discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 11:11:33 »
for me I aim for a consistent level, my reef has been at .08 for weeks but my corals (my litmus) is not coloring up the way i want it to. I have other corals that are popping like crazy, but of course the one I want will not.

I just started GFO yesterday in my tank and will measure the po4 here in a bit to make sure im not sucking it out of the water too fast.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 11:41:49 »
Thanks for the response! So coloring up is the only visual clue you see in 1 coral? But, you said your other corals look great?

So it sounds like your experience is not a coral health issue but more of an aesthetic reaction to elevated PO4?

This is good information!

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 12:01:53 »
Thanks for the response! So coloring up is the only visual clue you see in 1 coral? But, you said your other corals look great?

So it sounds like your experience is not a coral health issue but more of an aesthetic reaction to elevated PO4?

This is good information!

i have not noticed coral health and increased po4 in my tank recently. I think no3 being 0 or tiny is a bigger factor than nutrition than po4 currently in reefs. just my opinion

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 12:20:56 »
.04 was my po4 today with my test kit, so that is getting there. I dont want to strip po4 too fast so might slow it down a bit.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 20:43:36 »
Thanks for the discussion!