2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Battle with Marine Ich  (Read 11016 times)

arbee

Re: Battle with Marine Ich
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2007, 18:05:48 »
This thread has been given sticky status for the info in it.  Great info guys...
As it deserves (thumbs up for Joel!!!)
To know this thread will be readily available to anyone unfortunate to have to deal with this horrid parasite is great.
And Micki deserves kudos too. She has also been holding my hand for support long distance--and I am forever grateful!

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2007, 18:22:43 »
I am planning on condensing all the info Joel provided in this thread into a page on a new "Tips & Tricks" page that I am working on.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2007, 21:34:59 »
Boy, I sure wish I was closer to you all.

Me too Rita!  I have to say, this is a great group.  If any one of us is in need all the others step up to the plate to do what they can! Joel saved my fish and is still keeping them for me until i am up and running again and Rick is holding a mandarin for me.  Many times someone will pick something up because they are in the area and bring it back for someone else.  The list goes on and on.  Kudos to the group!  ;D 

The new section should be pretty cool.  Thanks Gary! 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 08:58:31 »
Rita,

What is the status of your aquarium and your fish? Curious to hear how everything turned out. I'm hoping that all your effort paid off for you.

Let us know...

Thanks...Joel

arbee

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 09:19:30 »
Rita,

What is the status of your aquarium and your fish? Curious to hear how everything turned out. I'm hoping that all your effort paid off for you.

Let us know...

Thanks...Joel

Hi Joel,
The hospital tank is doing well. Steady readings of copper at 0.2 to 0.25. No problems with ammonia (though test strips do show increase-but I think the cupramine tends to make the ammonia reading high). I have an ammonia alert in the tank and keep an eye on it everyday.
No trites and minimal trate readings. I think cleaning the detrious after each feeding really helps.
 Doing small water changes every few days. No loss of fish. They are all looking and eating very well. When I pull out 3 gallons, I put the copper in the replacement water (2 drops per gallon) and it seems to make it easier to keep levels consistent.
I have the transfer  back to the display tank date set for  May 1 and will start taking the copper levels down around the 18th of April.
I really appreciate your help. I'll post if anything changes or when I transfer back.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2007, 09:28:24 »
That's good to hear Rita, keep us posted!

arbee

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2007, 09:30:16 »
Will do Micki!
I wasnt sure if I could post here after it was made a sticky. Will update :)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2007, 09:40:02 »
Yep we are pretty easy going around here.  ;)  LOL

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2007, 09:49:40 »
That is awesome news, great to hear they are getting back to good health. Also, congrats on being patient with this process, many people will rush and/or stop treating or get the fish back into the display tank too soon only to have a re occurrence. What your doing should work out very well for you. If you need any additional assistance, please ask away.

Joel

arbee

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2007, 06:35:56 »
I put all the fish back into display late last week. They are doing great! All healthy and happy to be back in the big tank. No signs of ich ;D
Thanks so much Joel! You went above and beyond and I really appreciate all the help and great information.
And thank you too Micki!
Now I have one question Joel. Can I use the acrylic tank I used the cupramine in for my seahorse tank? That is what it was purchased for. I won't be using any on the equipment...just the tank itself.
Again-thanks!
Rita

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2007, 06:59:58 »
Using the tank should be fine, aquariums are not know for holding residual copper or other medications. Re using filters, most filter media, pumps, heaters, etc... will be fine too after a good cleaning & rinsing. I would not suggest using, rocks, gravel, decorations or similar because they often will have copper  in them that may leach back out into your water.

Joel

arbee

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2007, 07:08:45 »
Thats great news--thanks Joel.
I cleaned everything I used (nets, pvc, etc) with bleach and rinsed.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2007, 07:49:24 »
You're welcome Rita!  Glad to hear things are looking up! 

olsaltybastard

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2008, 20:49:35 »
Since everyone loves pictures, here is my QT as it stands right now.  I have just completed a 30 day hypo treatment for a Tomini tang and will spend the next ten days bringing the salinity back up using display tank water.  It's a pretty simple setup.  The HOB is from a FW tank (now with a larger filter) and has no media of any kind; it's for flow only.  There is a bag of Eheim bio-filter media inside a mesh bag that normally sits inside the main tank sump for several weeks.  Add a heater and a few pieces of PVC (the fish is actually hiding inside as I snap the pics) and you are good to go.  Large, frequent water changes are done bi-weekly.  The fish is fed a variety of foods which are soaked in vitamins.

A fish that feels secure is a happy fish.

KeepOnReefin

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2010, 19:07:07 »
I have had small bouts with Ick when introducing new fish. My cleaner shrimp always seem to take care of it.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2010, 21:02:46 »
I haven't had Ich since I stopped putting Tangs in my tank  ;D
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

KeepOnReefin

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2010, 21:26:16 »
I haven't had Ich since I stopped putting Tangs in my tank  ;D

Or any scaleless fish. Best solution to the problem yet :p

Offline marineman

• Adult
    • My website
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 10:15:50 »
Agreed. Tangs in a reef worry me. I love them, but ich is no fun and they are the usual carriers.