2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: How do deal with algae blooms  (Read 9018 times)

Offline aquavista99

How do deal with algae blooms
« on: May 11, 2006, 15:04:10 »
Recently, I had an algae bloom in one of my systems. I blame my water supply as the cause because I did not change my RO/DI filters in a timely manner. In the interim, I have conducted several large water changes, added 120 blue leg hermit crabs (which do not last long because of the mantis shrimp in the system);  replaced the RO/DI filters; and upgraded skimmers. I am also maintaining a high PH because a lot of the material I have researched suggests that micro algae only thrives in low PH.  My phosphates, nitrites and  nitrates are in check and I have reduced food consumption in the reef as well.

Since algae will always be present in healthy reef aquariums, what do other Ohio Reef members do when/if algae blooms occur in your systems?

wayne

Re: How do deal with algae blooms
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 15:24:32 »
I'm not the one to give advice on algae, as I have been fighting it like the devil, and I'm sure you know all of this:  increase flow, reduced lighting, growing macro to remove the nutrients, more skimming, don't overfeed.  I've had a little over 1 week with no red slime (not really an algae) and green hair algae appears to all be gone, not sure what was the key factor (probably the miracle sand I got from Scott Wilson  ;D ).  I have some of the miracle sand left if you want it!

Offline rmstevensiii

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 15:38:10 »
I aim for a balance.  It can grow like wildfire in my fuge, but I try to keep it out of my display.  I'll agree with Wayne in saying that macro's are a good thing for controlling nusiance (sp?) algae.
Dayton - 45459

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 15:50:47 »
BTW, I have a macro algae sump filled with cheato and I use Tunze Streams, so the flow rate is high in both of my systems. Unfortunately, I did not change my RO/DI filters in a timely manner and  I am guilty of overfeeding my fish, inverts and coral. Plus I allowed my mantis shrimp (who remains in my reef over my strongest objections) to wipe out most of my snails and all of my hermit crabs without replacing them in a timely manner as well  :-[  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 16:17:45 by aquavista99 »

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 15:59:43 »
Are you sure that the increase in algae was due to your water quality?  How old are your bulbs, and how long is your photo period?
Dayton - 45459

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 16:10:27 »
I just let mine go, I have the nastiest outbreak of cyano and it's been going for over 5 monthes now and I've had the system setup for over a yr. now but as long as it isn't causing my fish or inverts problems, I haven't seen the point of doing anything else, I've done everything else I could and my fish and crabs and snails are still happy!  ;D
Erin

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 16:25:11 »
Hey Hunter,

I let it go to a point.  I don't want it to take over the LR or any corals.  When it gets out of hand, I scrape it off, and do a water change, siphoning out as much as I can.  That process works well for me.

Aquavista:

Do you have measurable PO in your system?  If so, I'd think that a few large water changes with PO free water, the addition of a PO sponge for now, and reduced feedings, might help you get ahead in the battle. 

I know that Silica is also a documented source of food for nusiance algae, but since I don't have a Silica test kit, I can't offer a suggestion there.
Dayton - 45459

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 16:26:19 »
When the algae bloom started, both my halides and power compacts were on 12 hours a day. As of this week, I purchased a new timer and now my photo period is as follows: blue power compacts stay on from 10 am to 10pm (dusk/dawn) and the metal halides are on from 11 am to 9pm (reduced from 12 hours to 10 hours per day). I never had problems before, until the RO/DI filters began to foul. My metal halide lamps on this system are going on 11 months old. I was planning on replacing them in another month, but some sources say halides can last up to 16 months.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 16:30:23 by aquavista99 »

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 16:31:06 »
that's understandable!  ;D mine just kinda took over the live sand, there's a little on the rocks but not near the top as the corralline took over the top of the LR! I don't have any current pictures of it, but I'd be more embarrassed to post pictures as well!  :D lol I was doing all the siphoning and water changes and it never helped, it just kept growing back later in the day, so I just do water changes now and let the other lages battle for the nutrients, kinda sucks to say that...but it's true!  :-[
Erin

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 16:41:03 »
I could post pics of my system from the "early days" which are also quite embarressing when it comes to algae.  I've never seen anything take over a tank the way mine did!  :)

I solved my prob by leaving the lights off as much as possible for a wk or more.  I didn't have any coral in the system at the time, but I don't think this would hurt must hardy coral species.  I cut back feedings to once every other day.  The fish get really aggressive at feeding time, but they'll survive.  I removed Tidepool II wet/dry which should really be renamed, "the nitrate trapper".  :)  I did several major water changes siphoning out as much of the cynao as I could get to.  I replaced the nitrate trap with a 20 gal AGA std aquarium as the sump/fuge, seperated it into 2 chambers, and added LS and LR from the main tank and what I had in my "nitrate trap" to the fuge side along with add'l macro algae.  I added a grow light on a timer which runs for about 6 hrs per night, opposite of the main tank photo period.  In time, I was able to turn the corner and win the war.   I don't know about you, but a tank full of cynao is hard to enjoy.  It can be beat, it just takes time.
Dayton - 45459

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 17:21:16 »
Did your TDS from your RO skyrocket?

I would probably say your cause is a synergistic affect of your ro, your lack of consumers(hermits and such), your feeding and maybe lack of proper water changes to compensate for this.

Is your refugium on a reverse daylight photo period?

I would add some carbon and start scraping out the algae.

You can fashion a hose with a tooth brush attached to it so that you can scrub and remove water and remove the liberated algae at the same time.

I would not recommend using waynes leftover miracle sand, that he got from me, because by now it has turned into an anoxic time bomb.  This sand is going to be full of bad stuff after sitting in a bucket for so long.  Live sad is great to get from others as long as it gets used quickly.  Wayne I am glad that it worked for you but now it is real risky to use it in existing tanks.

Offline verper

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 19:24:54 »
Did your TDS from your RO skyrocket?

I would probably say your cause is a synergistic affect

You win fantastic word of the day!  :D

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 21:37:46 »
what do i win?

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 22:39:10 »
You win all the hair algae you want! Do you still have those black urchins in your system that I removed from my TBS rock last summer?

BobbyC

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 22:45:03 »
I was able to overcome my HA problem by just adding macro but...

Before that I used a sea hare and it worked great, too good actually.  I would completely clean the tank and I would have to pimp him out to others.  I know it worked well for Atreis but maybe not so good for Wayne; maybe a different type of algae.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 22:46:20 »

bleach works well

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 22:50:17 »

bleach works well
  Wouldn't adding bleach to the tank cause problems for the fish and coral?

:D  LOL

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 09:16:01 »
[/quote]
NAH it’s an oxidizer so it will give them oxygen right?

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 09:21:58 »
I would like to add a sea hare but I am afraid the mantis will kill it before the tank can be rid of hair algae. I agree with Scott that several factors together caused the algae bloom, but hopefully corrective measures can return everything back to normal soon.

I don't use TDS for testing water quality (should I?).....I just looked at the RO/DI filters and figured they failed because they were going on 10 months old and the micron filter went from white to brown. Plus, I noticed some hair algae just begining to start in my basement reef system, but as soon as I switched the filters, and did a water change, the hair algae went away. The upstairs reef is a different story. I think adding a new, more productive skimmer will help as well....which was added last week.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 09:28:35 »
We use a TDS meter. It's surprisein how fast the TDS picks up the filters needing to be changed.   TDS Meter is our friend.  :)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 09:29:16 »
NAH it’s an oxidizer so it will give them oxygen right?
[/quote]

Ahhh, good to know!!!  I'll have to try that sometime! :)  Maybe it would raise my PH a bit huh?  :D

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 10:12:34 »
Miki:
Just a hunch, but unless your fish like swimming in acid already I think it will drop your PH.

aquavista99:
I am sure your filters are doing better now. I do not use a TDS either but I also do not use RO. I just would keep up on your husbandry practices and keep the consumers population up and go from there.  If you have added any new coral reticently it can introduce algae.  A lot of the bases that your maricultured acros are on seem to be science experiments for algae.

Scott

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 10:15:34 »
Miki:
Just a hunch, but unless your fish like swimming in acid already I think it will drop your PH.

Scott

Ohhh, I was thinking more oxygenation higher PH  ;)

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 10:22:45 »
AH I see.  Based on my previous premise of adding oxygen then that would be correct.

I am sorry to be guilty of hijacking this thread.  I will stop right now.

Or now.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2006, 09:48:31 »
I added a sea hare yesterday for macroalgae control. Hopefully the mantis shrimp will leave it alone and allow it to consume algae just like it leaves my sea cucumbers alone.