2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: how's all the copperbands doing from lazy's?  (Read 2646 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
how's all the copperbands doing from lazy's?
« on: March 25, 2018, 21:02:39 »
I was just wondering how everyones copperbands are doing that they recently got from Brian's?  I kept mine in my frag tank for the first week trying to get it to eat.  It wouldnt eat anything till I got live black worms.  It tears the worms up.  It is now in my display tank, still eating the black worms, picking at my rocks and in the last several days has started picking at the frozen mix that I feed.  I was afraid to add it to my tank with having 4 pretty large tangs but after evicting my purple tang it gets along great with all my fish.  Mine hasnt touched my aptasia but still is a beautiful fish.  Lets hear how yours is doing.
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: how's all the copperbands doing from lazy's?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 23:35:26 »
I bought 3 about 3 weeks ago and all of them died in quarantine within a week of arrival. Two were eating, 1 wasn’t. I wonder if they cyanide collect them. I think I am giving up on them for now.

Has the blackworms been sustainable (reproducing) or do you have to purchase them all?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 09:24:29 »
Not sure about the sustainability of the worms.  I have bought them twice and still have quite a few.  From the reading I have done on them they will multiply more by body division rather then reproduction but are somewhat slow at multiplying.   I keep mine in a hospital bed pan with strips of paper towels cut into strips in the water,  along with an airstone.  drop a couple of mysis in for food.   They are fresh water worms so die pretty quickly once in the water.  I feed using a feeder I built using Steves idea he posted years ago that he fed his with.  I can post a picture if there is interest in it.   I only feed a half a dozen worms at a time to encourage the fish to be alittle hungry and encourage it to feed off the rocks and hopefully my frozen mix.
Jeff

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 11:09:05 »
Mine is doing fine.  Still in the QT tank with a clownfish.   It still will only touch blackworms.  Even if I drop in worms and brine at the same time, it won't touch the brine. I think I need to get a cone feeder, so it cannot tell what is in the feeder.

I just keep my blackworms in the fridge, and change the water every 2-3 days.  The first batch, I kept in too deep of water and too many in one container, and they crashed.....pretty sure they suffocated.   The next batch I split into several containers, and only enough water to cover them.   The cold water slows the metabolism, I'm not even trying to propagate them.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 13:21:36 »
this is the feeder that I made and use.  Very simple, just cut a bottle in half, drill some holes in the bottle and bottom cap and install a piece of the foam cut from one of those cheapo swimming pool float tubes.  The foam has a center hole in it already to put the worms into it to feed.  The fish can see the worms inside as they wiggle and die and will learn to feed from the drilled holes.  gives the copperbands an upper hand competing with the other fish for the food.
Jeff

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 18:49:51 »

Love the feeder, really great idea. I have been reading about these for Copperbands, gives them an advantage over getting the food instead of the other fish. Great post!

Offline merlin3

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 20:08:07 »
hopefully you guys can get yours all eating other foods. Mine that I got elsewhere about 9 months ago is still doing great. I still believe that a lot of these fish are being caught with cyanide and that's causing issues. I lost my potters angel a week or two ago and kind of pissed off. It was as fat as could be as healthy as could be and never shy. I noticed a week or two before he died he had started swimming a little differently but was still eating like a pig. woke up one morning and he was dead on the sand. had him for probably 9 months to a year but there had to be something internally wrong.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 22:14:05 »
Love the feeder, really great idea. I have been reading about these for Copperbands, gives them an advantage over getting the food instead of the other fish. Great post!
I have to thank steve for the idea.  If I remember right he posted a video of his copperband eating from one years ago.  The sad part is we have no idea how our fish are caught. 
Jeff