2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: PAR Meters  (Read 902 times)

Offline tidepool

• Adult
PAR Meters
« on: February 07, 2019, 10:21:42 »
Hey Ohio Reef!!!!!!!!!

I have been out of touch since moving to Montreal to be with my wife... there is no "club" in montreal, so I cannot just ask to borrow a PAR meter, frag saw or other items like the "good old days"... y'all were the most friendly/knowledgeable reefers I knew, (I miss the frag swaps), so I would like to pick your brain a little as I am looking at purchasing a PAR meter for my system...

After some research, the Apogee products look like the best bet... the SQ-420 "Smart Quantum" sensor ($272) goes to 655nm vs the SQ-520 "full Spectrum" sensor ($547) which goes to 695nm and therefore covers the "deep red" spectrum is the "recommended"  LED PAR Meter - question is it really worth paying almost double the price ($'s listed are CDN) for the 520 because I use LED's?  It's not like I am doing scientific experiments or anything, I just want to "know" whether my corals are getting 200 PAR or 400 PAR or whatever...

As always, any advice is GREATLY appreciated...  :be happy:

Tidepool

Offline tidepool

• Adult
Re: PAR Meters
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 12:11:38 »
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... just go with a Seneye Reef Monitor w/ PAR Meter for $200 CDN?

Offline dbjonesjr

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: PAR Meters
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 15:55:06 »
Blue spectrum is the most important so if you really don’t want to spend the extra that would probably work (for the most part). Seneye gets mixed reviews (more negative) because of its inaccuracy. If you want a par meter for measuring par I’d go with either Apogee over the Seneye.