2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: some hair algae  (Read 1479 times)

Offline delta1190

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
some hair algae
« on: February 16, 2019, 16:32:50 »
Having some trouble with some hair algae what do i need to do ? and does anyone have a yellow tang they want to get rid of ? and where is the best place to buy hermit crabs ? thanks

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
Re: some hair algae
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 17:10:24 »
Probably high phosphates. What kind of setup do you have?

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 18:30:54 »
I have a 30 gallon display a 20 gallon sump protein skimmer 2 300 watt heaters

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 19:30:40 »
What are your water parameters? Namely ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phos?

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
some hair algae
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 19:54:43 »
At risk of being labeled “tang police”, if you’re looking for a tang for your 30g, IMO that’s too small of a tank. Tangs need lots of room to swim.

I’d love to have one, but I only have a 32g biocube right now.

Depending on how much GHA you have, a sea hare works great for getting rid of it. Just make sure to supplement with seaweed or get rid of it when the GHA is gone.

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 20:52:28 »
i agree about a sea hare i got one and put it in my tank and i have no idea where it went took all the rock and moved it put some in the sump to make more room in the display and no sign of it at all i know it did not die because the rest of my stuff still lives /so where do your socks go when you put them in the dryer ?

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 23:29:08 »
Tang police! I love it and would have to agree, 30 gal pretty small for a yellow tang. Lots of options Carl, I would agree that it's a nutrient issue. I love the poly filters and they also make phosphate specific pads, either should be effective and affordable for a 30 gal. As far as hermits, I know Gerbers has small ones for a buck pretty regular. Might also consider skimming a little wetter for a while. I also like emerald crabs for gha control as well.

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 23:33:50 »
Thanks Steve for some reason unknown to me emeralds don't do good in my tank will do the other and see what happens ttyl

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 10:02:02 »
Tang police! I love it....

If this is the first you’ve heard of the “tang police” you must have never spent any time over on Reef Central! That and “Brian’s ban stick” which I’ve felt the wrath of a couple times. LOL

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 12:04:29 »
If this is the first you’ve heard of the “tang police” you must have never spent any time over on Reef Central! That and “Brian’s ban stick” which I’ve felt the wrath of a couple times. LOL
Do tell.... I wanna hear about this ban stick lol

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 12:33:00 »
Do tell.... I wanna hear about this ban stick lol

There was a moderator, believe his username was BrianD, that was known to “smack” you with the ban stick for comments he didn’t feel were appropriate or, I’m guessing, he didn’t agree with.

I got temporarily banned a couple of times for comments. You were at his mercy when/if you got removed from the ban. One of our early members here, redpyro, also felt the wrath of the ban stick and I’m thinking he may still be banned.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 13:18:08 »
Just hadn't heard anybody use the tang police term in a while. If my s ailfin gets much bigger, they may get called on me! Never heard of the ban stick, sounds pretty un-user friendly. Carl I should have mentioned, get the Incomparable Poly Filter from Poly Bio Marine, not just a regular poly filter pad.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 13:25:59 by Steve »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 00:55:27 »
I have a 30 gallon display a 20 gallon sump protein skimmer 2 300 watt heaters
That is to much heat for a system that size. Consider changing them out for 2 100w heaters.

Offline zachegg

• Juvenile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 08:49:45 »
I had a couple battles with GHA and both came in new tanks. Obviously getting parameters in check is the first most important step. Even after that it seems it never goes away. I have used Fluconazole with great results. Here are a couple links. One is a R2R link with well a documented process. The other is where I've bought it before. I will add it's not a quick fix. My experience is it's taken a couple weeks to start seeing results but it will eventually kill it. I have done two doses 30 days apart with water changes also. I might have some if you want I'd sell a couple packs. Good luck!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/

https://www.payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html

Offline kellyj

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 09:35:52 »
Carl,
I believe I am the king of the hair algae syndrome.  Lazy can confirm this.  I had success using fluconazole (Lazy carries this).  As others have said, need to control phosphate etc. but a quick fix can be the fluco.  Takes a few weeks to die off.
Hope this helps.
Kelly