2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Doxycycline anti bacterial  (Read 1355 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Doxycycline anti bacterial
« on: January 13, 2018, 12:51:07 »
Melanie has been conversing on the “Official SPS frag swap” page on Facebook about our issues. She got some very good feedback from a guy that was having the same issue in his Reef for 2 years and couldn’t find the problem until he met Joe Yaiullo (2016 Aquarist of the year) at MACNA. Joe explained that the sloughing of tissue from the skeleton is most likely a bacterial infection that attacks SPS. The pictures he posted are remarkably similar to what I am seeing. Joe had him dose doxycycline over 10 days and it solved his problem. His current pictures are of a beautiful, healthy looking reef. Since my Apex EB had to be RMA’d and I haven’t been able to do the huge water change I was planning, I am considering doing this treatment first. Does anyone have this antibiotic I could purchase? I tried Gerbers and they don’t stock it.

Offline thepipbull

• Adult
Re: Doxycycline anti bacterial
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 17:43:11 »
be careful with this unless you plan on starting over .... it will also kill the beneficial bacteria in your tank and might cause it to cycle again

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
Re: Doxycycline anti bacterial
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 17:53:58 »
Thanks Chris. Even though the guy said he didn’t have any noticeable problems with a cycle (he was doing 25% WC’s every day through the dosing) I am preparing for a cycle. Prime, Biospira and new miracle mud. He gave us a link to the Doxycycline he used. So, as soon as it gets here, I’m gonna start it. It’s not like I can do much more damage. It’s really the only thing left to try.... Beware of frag swap frags. Lesson learned....