2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: what "schedule" pvc  (Read 3624 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
what "schedule" pvc
« on: November 16, 2008, 13:59:49 »
I bought alot of stuff to start running my plumbing.  Before I start cutting on the pvc should of I gotten schedule 26 or 40 for my inlet and return lines

Offline verper

Re: what "schedule" pvc
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 14:58:48 »
Most will use sch 40 just because it is stronger if you would bump or tweek it some.  Nothing wrong with sch 26 as there is not much pressure on the supply side and none on the return.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 16:18:12 »
I like schedule 40.  I find it easier to cut.  I used 26 before and was leaning over my refugium and it cracked just from the pressure of me leaning on it lightly.  To me it seems a little safer to use 40.  If you are putting any of it in your tank I would use 80.  The dark color looks better then the bright white in my opinion. 
Dayton,Ohio

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 19:44:07 »
the cheapest of the 2. Its not going to have pressure behind it so why waste money

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 21:12:01 »
I looked and I already bought schedule 40 so I am glad that I did get that kind, because I dont want to be messing around my sump and crack/twist, break my "weaker" pvc.

If I can get away with it, should I use 45 degree elbows instead of 90 degree elbows?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 21:32:47 »
If I can get away with it, should I use 45 degree elbows instead of 90 degree elbows?

I hear that 45 degree or two 45 degree elbows are better then 90 to maximize flow.

Offline verper

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 21:34:54 »
I hear that 45 degree or two 45 degree elbows are better then 90 to maximize flow.

Or a long sweep 90 degree.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 21:37:58 »
not sure what that is (well I have an idea) just not sure if I have ever seen them.

will "elbows" cause problems for the inlets to the sump?  or will they not create that much of a problem?

I have the plumbing ran for then inlets to the sump (unless I change out the 90 degree elbows)

now I have to figure out the returns 1.5" down to 3/4" 

(then I will mark the sump) and attempt to drill it

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 21:39:37 »
The inlets are so large it probably wont cause any issues + you have gravity on your side. Maybe a bit of noise.

Kaylyn

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 22:10:37 »
I agree with Lazylivin regarding the elbows being fine. However, depending on the size you may be able to get them in different lengths. A "long" 90 is the same as 2 45 degree elbows. I am not sure what the smallest pvc is with a long elbow. The make long elbows that are used in normal plumbing for gravity based flows in the typical drain waste vent system which can get down to 1.5 inches so I think you should be able to find a long elbow at that size

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 22:13:52 »
what can I do to lower the noise from using elbows?  the tank will be in the wall, with the plumbing, stand and sump being in the fish/laundry room.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 22:27:39 »
if you have a 2" bulk-head how far away from the sides of the tank/bottom does it need to be placed (for drilling purposes)

I really like the idea of Joe's (ayers)  with the return line come to the middle of the tank then splitting/teeing off to the return bulkheads

right now I have mine planned for the pump feed to come out the side of the tank (short side at the end of the tank) and going to my returns from there.  so the t to split the lines will be pretty close to the one return (is that a problem)

forgive me for all of the questions.  Then tank I have now that I am upgrading from  (75 gallon to a 150 gallon) has an overflow box with spa-flex tubing that runs to the sump, then a clear piece of tubing running off of a mag drive pump to the tank. 

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 22:54:41 »
If you are plumbing you might want to consider putting in a SCWD.  I don't know if anyone has used one of these.  I have just started using a 1" and it seems to be working well so far.  It's only been about 2 weeks so I can't speak to the long term use. It is a less expensive way to create waves.

http://www.petsolutions.com/SCWD-Wavemakers+I57300001+C1042.aspx
Dayton,Ohio

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 23:03:09 »
interesting idea.  I think it would put to much "head pressure" on my pump.  the pump I have is not the ideal pump for a 150 gallon.

may look into that in the future if I buy a different pump.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 15:43:37 »
What are the benefits/drawbacks of using PVC, Flexible PVC, or reinforced vinyl tubing for your tank plumbing?

by using the flexible pvc or reinforced vinyl tubing it would allow more give and i would not have to use as many elbows that would restrict flow?

but then again I almost have the whole darn thing plumbed now with pvc.

Bigmoo

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 20:21:04 »
I have tried the "flexible" tubing in the past and found that it was not as flexible as I had hoped. I switched to a 1" to 3/4" threaded end and attached a washer supply line, it is much more flexible and will handle whatever pressure you can give it.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 22:01:00 »
Aren’t washer supply lines copper ended?

Offline verper

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 10:34:12 »
Or brass?  Either way I would be very worried about that.  Something else to think about.  Is the washer supply line rubber?  Almost all of the tubing used in the aquarium trade is some form of plastic.  Not sure what would leach off of the rubber and into your tank.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 18:49:55 »
He may be using the fiberglass reinforced clear vinyl hose. I have used this in the past.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 20:59:07 »
okay i have primed and glued almost all of the pvc parts together.  i am now to the point of when you attach them to the bulkheads.

I have threaded bulkheads so I have male adaptors screwed in.  do I prime and glue them and just conjoin the rest of the plumbing that way (i think thats the best way just not sure if there are any tricks)

also I made my own durso standpipes.  I have seen several different ways to help control how much water/air the stand pipes take in.

I think I am going to drill a hole in the cap and silicone in a valve that way I can control things easier.  any thoughts on that.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 21:41:12 »
Personally I would glue as little as possible.  You would be amazed how water tight PVC fitting can be when they are pushed all the way together.  If you have ever tried to pre fit a pipe and then had a hard time taking it apart you know what i'm talking about.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 22:15:31 »
yes i know exactly what you are talking about.  everything was prefit and place/run to make sure thats what i wanted. 

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 23:42:19 »
I set mine up with no joints glued.  I had over 3500gph going through a 1 1/2" line and splitting into 2 1".  After I turned it on I found that one of my elbow had a small leak.  After I glued it I haven't had a problem since.  It ran for over 2 years.  When I took it down to move my tank it made life easy and I will be able to reuse the parts.  If I was thinking I wouldn't have glued that elbow either.  I should of put a bucket under it and in a week or so it would have plugged it's self.  I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 12:35:04 »
If you don't want to glue/fuse, but you have a leak, you can also try just regular plumbing thread tape.  Works without threads pretty good.  Takes a little more work to push it together.  I have my above-tank refug plumbed without glue, only tape on joints. 

- Rayk