Frag Swap

Author Topic: Check this Out!  (Read 3185 times)

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Check this Out!
« on: December 23, 2016, 03:00:51 »
I have always noticed a bump on the back end of one of my conchs, never thought it was more than an abnormality in its shell, until tonight. Never seen anything like this. Hoping someone can help with an ID. Keep your eye on the tail of the conch.

And please ignore the salt creep and Kojak rerun in the background, thank you.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 03:11:42 by Steve »

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
Re: Check this Out!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 05:13:10 »
eunice worm is what it looks like to me looks kinda like the one I had in my tank the buggers are fast and have whiskers around their mouth I would pull the conch and try and remove the worm

Offline muttley000

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 08:33:31 »
That is amazing!  Off topic, but do you feel the conchs have been helpful in your system?

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 08:52:11 »
I wouldn't say amazing cause if I am right they are not something you want in your tank. Can get quite large and eat fish and invertebrates

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 10:14:49 »
I'm not sure it's an eunice worm.  To me it looks like it is creating the hard shell that you are seeing as a bump.  But Perhaps it's just using that as a home.   But it is still a long time before its

Offline kellyj

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 14:36:25 »
Wow Paul, that is a scary looking creature.  Hope I never see one of those in my tanks.
Kelly

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 15:29:00 »
I don't believe it is a eunice worm. The shell on the conch hinges almost like a clam or mussel. I watched it for a while, it has a snout very similar to the conch and it seems to be eating algae and scavenging through the rocks. Looks like a two headed conch almost, but I have not seen a foot or anything like that, just 2 antennae and a snout. 

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 15:34:59 »
That is amazing!  Off topic, but do you feel the conchs have been helpful in your system?

Can't give you a big for sure, but my sand bed seems cleaner. Very active and I have always tried to keep bio-diversity in my tank. I like variety also. I know Agame43 keeps a bunch of them in his 120 and his sand bed is very clean.

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 17:34:53 »
What do you keep in your sandbed???

Offline muttley000

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 19:04:03 »
Can't give you a big for sure, but my sand bed seems cleaner. Very active and I have always tried to keep bio-diversity in my tank. I like variety also. I know Agame43 keeps a bunch of them in his 120 and his sand bed is very clean.
Thank you for the reply!