2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 130g DT, with 40g sump  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
130g DT, with 40g sump
« on: January 28, 2017, 23:17:01 »
I am new to this forum, so figured I'd post some pictures of my tank and set up as of right now.  I will try and keep this updated as I go.
(full tank shot with doors off of lower area)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:54:21 by crankbait09 »

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
Re: 130g DT, with 40g sump
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 23:46:13 »
Here is my livestock stocking list:

(1) Randall's Goby
(1) Starry Blenny
(2) fire fish
(2) chalk bass
(2) percula clown fish
(1) red serpent sea star
(1) red sea star
(1) feather duster
(3) peppermint shrimp
(6) cerith snails
(1) fighting conch
(1) nassarius snail
(2) bumble bee snails

Coral:

(1) acan
(2) trumpet coral
(1) duncan
(1) toadstool
(1) frogspawn
(1) hammer

Here is the equipment

130 gallon DT
40 gallon sump
(5) Hydor Korali 1500 powerheads
(2) 300w Eheim heaters
(1) Eheim 1262 return pump
(1) Reef Octopus 200-INT skimmer
(1) GFO reactor
(1) Carbon reactor

(3) Hydra 26HD LED lights
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:27:13 by crankbait09 »

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 23:50:00 »
Very clean sump area and I like how open your rock work is.  Looks like alot of room for some nice coral additions.
Jeff

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 23:51:01 »
thanks.  I modified the 2nd post with a list of everything I have.
I'm still stocking the tank with fish, as well as coral......

the biggest challenge I face is when it comes to placing the coral.  The lights are very powerful. 

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 02:00:05 »
Looks excellent, love the under the hood shot. Clean, well organized for easy maintenance. Nice job!

Offline soldiers4christ50

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 09:01:22 »
Very nice

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 09:53:38 »
It's funny, since day one, I have always thought that the set up was mediocre at best and had signs showing that it was done by a noob.
I try and keep everything as clean/neat as possible, but also realize that this hobby is not for neat freaks.

Although it always makes me a little nervous showing people my set up, due to not wanting to be told i did it wrong or that it should be redone so that it does this or that.  I've put a lot of time and money in to it, and I certainly don't like to be told it isn't "right".

This is proof that it's all in my head.  every person that iv'e shown pictures to, that is in the hobby, has commented on the layout and cleanliness of the set up.  I have never heard a negative comment yet :).  Maybe one day I'll get past that thought and say i don't give a crap what you think.  I like it   :beee:

I just wish I could see the same others see.  To me it's not perfect. But then again, nothing ever is.  There is always something wrong, regardless how much tweaking I do.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 10:13:52 »
I think it looks great!

Do the 10 fighting conch keep the sand clean?  I have a couple, but I've been wondering if I shouldn't step it up with a few more as I've been getting some brown on the sand.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 10:26:18 »
If I'm not mistaken, are you referring to the Ceriths?
I only have one fighting conch.
(my apologies.  I fat fingered and had a quantity of 10 conch's.  sorry, only have one.  livestock numbers have been adjusted)

The conch is constantly cleaning the sand.  I think I may get one more due to the size of the tank. Every time I see him, he's constantly cleaning.  But with him being alone, I don't see much progress.

As for the ceriths, I never see them out cleaning except when lights go out.  At that time, they are always on the glass. So I never see them cleaning the substrate.  ever.  When lights are on, they are always buried in the substrate so I guess they could be cleaning/doing their job.  But I never see it.

My sand is only a whiter shade after I do a water change and I clean the substrate myself :).  If you want a job done right, you gotta do it yourself  :not speak:

all in all, the fighting conch pulls his weight around the tank.  Oh, so does the Nassi snail.  those are my two favorites right now.

Offline thepipbull

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 13:19:10 »
Very nice great job on the sump

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 11:28:51 »

Real nice build!

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 19:17:33 »
(Little personal review on the octopus skimmer if anyone would like to know)

Although my OP mentioned a Reef Octopus skimmer, I didn't always have that.  Day prior to the original post, I replaced the old with the Octopus.

I had/have a SWC-250a skimmer.  Tank rated for 400-700 gallons.  I ran the SWC for a solid year, slightly more, by a month or two.  In that time frame, I replaced the sicce pump with a new, as well as a new impeller.  I spent a lot of time fighting with the pump, to continuously generate bubbles.  It was very, very inconsistent.  It would run fine for days, then all of a sudden it would still work, but no bubbles were being produced.  No matter how many times I would take it a part and clean it, and put it back together, it would run flawlessly for a little bit of time.  If the power goes out, I would easily spend a half hour or so, trying to get it back up and running, producing bubbles like it should.  So I got rid of the pump and purchased a new one, along with a new impeller.  Hoping a new pump would solve the issue.  Got the new pump in, noisy as hell, but was working.  I dealt with the noise, no biggie. (got used to it after awhile).  So I was happy with bubbles!  A couple months later, same issue came back.  I sent emails to the manufacturer, and was told to take apart and clean.  which is what I was already doing.  SO after the frustration, I decided to upgrade/downgrade skimmers and get the Reef Octopus skimmer (200-INT).   I still have the SWC as a back up, but the Reef Octo is my primary.  There is no issue with the SWC skimmer itself, just the pump.  Not sure if anyone else has the issues I had, but it was definitely deflating.  Didn't feel like dealing with sending back the pump and/or buying another.  So in came the new skimmer.

As for the reef octo 200-INT, It has been up and running for a little less than a week.  This skimmer uses the Aquatrance AQ-3000S pump.  Although the sump design is very comparable to the SWC, the pump is night and frickin day!!!On the SWC, I had to constantly look at it to see if it was working properly.  Again, if I heard noise, I was happy.   The Octo, holy crap, that thing is silent!!!!  I hear nothing.  With it only being a week old, I am still checking it every hour making sure it's still producing bubbles.  Which it is :).   It hasn't stopped yet, as I could only hope for in a skimmer.  The day I hooked it up, it started skimming and making foamy bubble in the cup.  It's still early, but the pump is my best friend.  So far, it's quiet, works as it should, and has yet to fail. I will attempt to kill the power and see how it performs when i plug it back in.  Hopefully it doesn't miss a beat.  But as of right now, I couldn't be anymore happier with the Octo skimmer.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 19:51:49 »
I like the octo skimmers too. Not flashy, but They work.