2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Dino's under a scope (poor quality)  (Read 2431 times)

Offline erky

• Adult
Dino's under a scope (poor quality)
« on: August 05, 2019, 13:54:48 »
Hey guys i found a scope here at my house it was from the 1950's not kidding! I held my phone camera up to the eye piece to take these pics, can someone please 100% confirm these are dinos like i think as well?

Offline erky

• Adult
Re: Dino's under a scope (poor quality)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 14:01:34 »

Offline dbjonesjr

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 14:07:07 »
Not great quality but appears so. In my experience they aren't something avoidable. Getting rid of them is more about tank maturity and nutrient balance.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 14:30:19 »
Not great quality but appears so. In my experience they aren't something avoidable. Getting rid of them is more about tank maturity and nutrient balance.
3+ year old tank, i have my po4/no3 bottom out while i was away and came back to this slime, i have been thinking they were dinos but never was able to 100% confirm, the scope has assisted.

Offline casper320

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 14:49:33 »
I would go with no, dino's have flagella. If you have to ask yourself "is it dinos" it probably isn't. Dinos take over your tank pretty quick and if it's a certain type it will kill your fish and inverts. Dino's dont usually show up in 3 year old tank unless you have had 0 nitrates and phosphates for awhile.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 15:13:52 »
their slime with bubbles everywhere in the frag system and in low flow areas of the tank/fuge.

this is as magnified as i can get, not sure what else it would be?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 15:25:04 »
In my experience, as soon as you bottom out nutrients, Dino’s explode. And it doesn’t have to be bottomed out for long. Even less than 24 hours and they will show up.

My new frag system never got them but I also never let the nutrients completely bottom out.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 17:16:36 »
In my experience, as soon as you bottom out nutrients, Dino’s explode. And it doesn’t have to be bottomed out for long. Even less than 24 hours and they will show up.

My new frag system never got them but I also never let the nutrients completely bottom out.

yeah accidents happen, chasing that po4 and BOOM it was 0 for who knows how long. My tank does fantastic when my "nutrient ego" doesnt get in the way!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 19:26:18 »
I feel your pain. I run a sulphur denitrator and a few times I’ve went below 2.5 NO3. And after initially cycling I over dosed the lanthanum and hit 0 PO4 and instantly the Dino’s popped up. I now keep Lanthanum, NeoPhos and Brian’s Nitrate handy at all times in case it’s needed. Dino’s SUCK!

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 11:03:56 »
Thank you all for reminding me why I don’t test for nitrates and phosphate. It keeps me and the tank happier. Overpowered fuges and chemicals etc aren’t needed with a regular water change schedule and an appropriate sized fish collection. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline casper320

• Fry
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 13:42:19 »
My strain of chaeto prefers phosphates and will quickly drop phosphates to 0 if I don't test. I usually dose phosphates to keep the nutrients stable. If you have a well balanced fuge it is better to just not test I agree.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 08:00:09 »
My strain of chaeto prefers phosphates and will quickly drop phosphates to 0 if I don't test. I usually dose phosphates to keep the nutrients stable. If you have a well balanced fuge it is better to just not test I agree.

what do you use to dose i always prefer a diy than a $54 bottle of mystery.

Offline casper320

• Fry
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 12:13:32 »
Seachem phosphorus. Its potassium phosphate so maybe it's not the best solution but its concentrated and only raises potassium a little bit. I just make sure I dont dose potassium in my trace element solution.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 16:07:17 »
I believe I read somewhere on R2R that Seachems Flourish has Iron in it. It says it’s for planted tanks. That’s why I chose to use the Brightwell NeoPhos. I’m sure it’s potassium phosphate as well.

Seachem phosphorus. Its potassium phosphate so maybe it's not the best solution but its concentrated and only raises potassium a little bit. I just make sure I dont dose potassium in my trace element solution.

Offline casper320

• Fry
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 14:49:47 »
I wouldn't be suprised if it had iron in it. Just helps the macros grow and bring out the green color in the corals.