2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: The nightmare begins!  (Read 12842 times)

Offline JMM

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Re: The nightmare begins!
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2018, 13:42:04 »
After all the hastle, all the labor and disruption, all the discouraging things that happened along the way you can finally sit back and just enjoy the beauty of it all. Well done!
Jim

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2018, 20:29:56 »
Beautiful! Way to hang in there and not give up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2018, 22:53:50 »
Thanks all,   I ordered a bad of sand today.  I have never been crazy about deep sand beds so I ordered a 40 lb bag.  With the 20lbs I got from Jesse I should have more then I need.  I just want enough to cover the glass.  I'm anxious for the corals to color back up and start growing again.  Then a trip to lazy's to replace the pieces that I lost.
Jeff

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2018, 20:48:17 »
Two weeks in and all is well.  Corals are slowly getting some of their color back and all stn has seemed to have stopped.  I have been slowly increasing the light intensity to bring the corals back up to full strength.  I love the new tank but it has been a real headache and the loss of corals has been quite a bit.  I thought that I would share some pics of my filter room.  The sump is a 75 gallon tank that I installed baffles and sectioned off.  First section is for my skimmer and socks, second is filled with live rock and cheato then my return pump section.  I picked up a awesome return pump that is feeding a water manifold that is splitting off the water to all my different pieces of equipment.  I control my alk and ca with a twin chamber mrc calcium reactor.  I have a sulfur reactor that I built from a geo media reactor for nitrate control.  I am also feeding a small frag tank from the manifold. I am thrifty with my reef money so all of my equipment was either purchased used or diy.  I control everything with an apex classic controller.  I really like the controller but hate to have everything controlled from one point and hate the idea of a component failure.
Jeff

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2018, 22:47:49 »
I always keep a backup controller to mitigate the risk.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2018, 23:04:24 »
I always keep a backup controller to mitigate the risk.

Yeah I would like to find a decent price on just a controller
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2018, 07:26:27 »
I know it was a struggle for you Jeff but WOW, that new setup is gorgeous! Very nice job and I’m looking forward to seeing how it matures.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2019, 23:14:08 »
I thought that I would post up what I have been working on this past winter.  When Lazylivin decided to install new tanks and sell his old frag tanks I was able to pick up the 7 ft tank that he kept his grow out sps colonies in. I wanted to set it up in my filter sump room behind my main tank.  I had a small home built 10 gallon frag tank that I took out of service in place of this one.  The biggest hurdle was moving my sump from one side of the room to the other.  It involved running all my plumbing and wiring from it existing location to the other side of the room.  My room is only maybe 6 ft wide so I had to install the sump underneath the stand for the frag tank to allow any room to move around in the room.   It will make more sense from the pictures.   The plumbing wasnt as bad as all the wiring.  I had to extend all my probes wiring(temp, ph, salinity, orp, skimmer overflow switch) wiring for 2 heaters, skimmer pump, return pump and dosing lines.
Jeff

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2019, 23:18:32 »
That frag tank going to be extremely useful to have. What are you planning to do for lighting the 7 ft length?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2019, 00:05:46 »
You will love all the space. Plenty of room for growth, looks great

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2019, 11:46:57 »
I had to work out a way to service my skimmer with it being underneath the frag tank stand.  I was able to use the tanks stand and butt it up against my existing equipment stand at the end of the room.  I slid the tank so that it is resting on both stands which gave me about 2 ft open at the end of the tanks stand.  I cut the top so I could remove it and placed my sump with the skimmer directly underneath the cut out.  I can now remove the skimmer through this opening if needed and also make a small work space for testing and making frags.  I only have enough frags right now to use one of my lights but have plenty of room for more when the time comes.  I have a separate in sump pump that it supplying water to just the frag tank and the drain empties into the sump underneath.  With it set up this way I am able to use the same filtration and support equipment for both my display and frag tanks saving a lot of money in equipment.  I am guessing my total water volume to be around 350 gallons now.  I bought one of Lazy's old ocean revive lights and replaced the leds that were bad in it.  I purchased 2 new revives for whenever I get enough corals to need them.  After seeing the success that Brian has with his revives I felt like they were a good choice for this new system.
Jeff