2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Skimmer line outside help  (Read 2232 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Skimmer line outside help
« on: May 20, 2018, 08:30:26 »
My normal nighttime pH bottoms out at around 8.0

Yesterday I ran my skimmer airline out my window through a towel that I could use as a seal to keep the window shut. This bypassed my CO2 scrubber. I was looking forward to maintaining the 8.1-8.4 pH range overnight that I’ve heard so many people talk about. Well, I get up this morning and anxiously pull up Fusion and was extremely disappointed to see a 7.93

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
Re: Skimmer line outside help
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 11:18:38 »
I never really saw much of an increase in ph with my skimmer line run outside.  What made the biggest difference was when I installed the blower blowing out the window that I have shown you.  With your tank in the lowest part of your house the co2 probably is settling there.  I think even if you are able to set something up anywhere in your lower level it will help.  I dont think 8.0 overnight is bad at all.  How are your daytime readings?
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 11:36:39 »
Well Jeff my objective was to:
1. Save money on CO2 absorbing media because I have two systems running now
2. Get a higher, more consistent pH through the night and a slight bump up in the day.

And it looks like neither will be achieved. 

I think you’re right about a blower but that would cancel out the money savings on the CO2 media. Unfortunately.

The fish room isn’t quite the lowest part of the house. I also have a basement that’s lower.

You’re right Jeff. 8.0 overnight is a decent number but again, that is with the CO2 scrubber online. It would be significantly lower if I used nothing.
Daytime readings with the scrubber average around 8.25. My intentions were to get that around 8.3. But it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen unfortunately.

I never really saw much of an increase in ph with my skimmer line run outside.  What made the biggest difference was when I installed the blower blowing out the window that I have shown you.  With your tank in the lowest part of your house the co2 probably is settling there.  I think even if you are able to set something up anywhere in your lower level it will help.  I dont think 8.0 overnight is bad at all.  How are your daytime readings?
Jeff

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 13:27:00 »
Do you run a refugium or any lighting at night? That is a good way to keep PH elevated at night. I think most of us struggle with lower PH in the summer and window because of keeping the houses shut up with Ac and heating. Since I don't have anything to pull the CO2 out, I just periodically open all the windows at night and flush the whole house.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 15:18:01 »
I don’t  run a fuge on the 75. I struggle with low nutrients.

I just remember people saying that they have pH from 8.1 at night to 8.4 in the day after running their intake outside. My evidence is telling me it’s something else driving their high pH. Not the skimmer intake. What a shame.

Even now at 3pm the pH is only 8.04. Looks like I’ll be putting the scrubbers back online tonight. That’s unfortunate.

Do you run a refugium or any lighting at night? That is a good way to keep PH elevated at night. I think most of us struggle with lower PH in the summer and window because of keeping the houses shut up with Ac and heating. Since I don't have anything to pull the CO2 out, I just periodically open all the windows at night and flush the whole house.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 14:26:55 »
Jeff, you are pushing lower level air out the window, not bringing air in. Right?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 20:39:01 »
Jeff, you are pushing lower level air out the window, not bringing air in. Right?
correct, since I am running right to the outside through a window I didnt want to pull cold winter air in or hot humid summer air in.  I am only running the fan for about 6 hours at night.
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 07:27:42 »
Thanks Jeff. I think I’m gonna pick up one of those window fans. They’re fairly cheap and may help save on CO2 media.