2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Aquaticlife Hybrid T5 and Ocean Revive T247s  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Crimsonvice

• Fry
Aquaticlife Hybrid T5 and Ocean Revive T247s
« on: July 12, 2018, 10:45:22 »
I love my Ocean Revive t247 leds, but have been wanting to add some supplemental t5s to the front and back. I have eyeballed the Aquaticlife hybrid for some time, but the standard brackets would not fit the 10.5" Ocean Revive. However, Aquaticlife came out with additional brackets that will expand the unit to 24" wide allowing the middle space to accommodate led units up to 12" wide.

Thanks to the wonderful team at @MarineDepot I was able to get the extended end brackets and two sets of two center rail mounts, and well obviously the 48" Aquaticlife Hybrid fixture. The following pictures show the 24" end plates and mounting brackets.

I was hoping it would pretty much be plug and play, but I ran into a small hang up. The Ocean Revive mounting studs on the fixture are slightly larger than the space provided on the 24" mounting bracket.

To fix the issue, I centered the lights in the Aquaticlife fixture and marked where the Ocean Revive mounting studs lined up on the mounting bracket. I don't have a drill press, so I used some C-clamps and a block of wood and drilled out the bracket slightly, so the stud would fit. Making sure to wear all my personal protective gear of course!

I then used 10mm nuts to secure the Ocean Revives to the mounting bracket.

I mounted everything up and I have to say I am pretty happy so far. With everything assembled the unit is a little heavy (guesstimating ~35-45lbs), so make sure you have everything anchord well if you are suspending it from the ceiling.

I am currently running:

1. Ati Aquablue special

2. Giesemann Actinic blue

3. Giesemann  Super Purple

4. Ati Blue Plus

I hope to get the club par meter within the next few weeks and get some par readings. I really wanted to eliminate some of the shadowing I was getting in the front of my tank and under my overhangs. So far it looks to be doing the job!

Anyone have any suggestions on breaking in bulbs/ acclimating coral to t5?

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Re: Aquaticlife Hybrid T5 and Ocean Revive T247s
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 11:13:38 »
I did a similar set up for my 120 but I was luckily able to just screw my T5 fixture into my wooden canopy. The corals really responded well when I added them to my ocean revives. I lowered the power level slightly (maybe 15-20%) and eventually ramped the LEDs back to my previous level after a couple weeks. It’s a great upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Crimsonvice

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 11:51:34 »
I dont have a canopy, so that is why I ended up buying the fixture. I lowered the LED intensity to 75/50 from 95/75, and have been running the t5s from 3-6pm. I will probably bump the length and intensity up again next week sometime. I is amazing how much the reflectors make a difference. I can see parts of coral that were not getting light before now are. Hopefully this will help with some growth! :be happy:

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 12:29:34 »
Great build! I think lighting brackets are the most difficult thing to figure out when you don’t have a canopy. You have to think about aesthetics as well as function. Great job, it looks awesome!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 18:26:51 »
Nice job! Looks great

Offline Crimsonvice

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 18:28:42 »
Thanks!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 22:16:31 »
I also added t-5s to my led setup and it really does make a difference.  Removes a lot of the shadowing that comes with the leds.
Jeff

Offline Crimsonvice

• Fry
Aquaticlife Hybrid T5 and Ocean Revive T247s
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 10:07:02 »
Finally got my hands on a par meter.