2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Stagnant growth  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Stagnant growth
« on: July 28, 2018, 16:51:35 »
I've had this Pro Corals Rainbow Acro since the Dayton swap last year and it hasn’t grown at all. It’s getting a good amount of flow and light and it’s always had decent color. It encrusted a little at the beginning but then stopped and even started to die back partially where it had encrusted. Do you think I would have better luck if I fragged it? Maybe the frag would try to re-encrust or the remaining piece would start to re-grow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 19:25:15 by Heinbaughb »

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Re: Stagnant growth
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 16:51:59 »

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 19:33:59 »
I am by no means an expert but I can tell you what I see in the picture and what my experience was with a PC Rainbow. In your pic, it appears that the LED side of the frag looks like mine did when it had too much light. Brittle and dying off. I know my problems are in no way reflective of your issue here, but it does look the same. Can you move it to lower light?

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 20:02:52 »
Thanks Jesse. I usually end up having to move my acros up. Maybe in this case I need to go down. Have you had any experience with corals not doing well when attached to rock with epoxy instead of glue? I’ve noticed my encrusting montis seem to avoid covering over epoxy patches on some of my rock. Can’t remember if I glued this one on or epoxied it. Seems like it might make a difference.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 20:36:54 »
I’ve not noticed any issues with the putty. When I’ve had a coral grow unimpeded, they grow right over the putty. One of the reasons I’m wondering if it’s not too much light is because it looks like you’re getting good color.

I will say, through all my problems, the PC Rainbow and Pearlberry both died very quickly. Not a slow death like most of them went thru. I’m wondering if the Rainbow is a temperamental coral.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 21:45:30 »
I have found the pro corals to be more green in lower light and more pink/red in higher light. Some corals just take awhile to get started. I have read where sometimes taking a snip off a tip or two will help get a coral going.
Jeff