2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Stray Voltage in the Aquarium  (Read 9164 times)

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Stray Voltage in the Aquarium
« on: June 27, 2011, 18:18:00 »
I just thought this was a great article and wanted to make it available.

Link: http://www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_net/996/996_5.html

Stray voltage in the aquarium

How does it get there and what effect does it have on our animals.

By Bruce Davidson

Voltage can enter our aquariums by several means, one of the most common is induction. Induction is the process by which an electric current, an electric charge, or a magnetism is produced by the proximity of an electric or magnetic field. Let's see; do we use any magnetic fields or electric charges in the proximity of our aquariums? You bet we do. Power heads and large water pumps have both. Fluorescent lights have a strong electric charge in that tube. As air bubbles burst at the surface of the water they spray salt several inches. Salt creep or salt spray can form and give electricity a path from lighting, heaters and powerfilters to find the aquarium water. Because of the conductive properties of salt water all equipment (heaters, lights, powerfilters etc.) should be kept clean of salt spray and salt creep. Non submersible heaters should never be used on a marine aquarium. Not only because of the potential of stray voltage in the aquarium but they will eventually stick in the on position.

Now we know were it comes from so how do we test for it? Using a voltage tester or volt meter set to read AC voltage (VAC) put one lead on a known ground and the other in the tank water.

The first tank I tested was my 125 gallon reef tank. The tank is acrylic and sits on a wood stand. All lighting is suspended ten inches above the tank. I use an Iwaki pump for water return and three Maxi Jet power heads in the tank for circulation. I have a 300 watt submersible heater in the sump. After finding a good ground I set the volt meter to VAC and to my surprise I had 12.5 volts. Intrigued by the amount of voltage in my tank at home I thought it would be a good idea to check all of my marine tanks at work. I found every marine tank has some detectable stray voltage, from .63 VAC on a twenty gallon tank to 43.62 VAC on a 110 gallon wall unit. Even at nearly 44 VAC we did not feel any shock when we put our hand in the water, I wouldn't try it barefoot.

Next step was to eliminate the stray voltage. On every tank I unplugged each piece of electrical equipment one at a time wile testing for voltage. On most tanks it was a combination of every appliance leaking or inducing voltage but in some cases I did find faulty powerheads and even a few faulty submersible heaters. Once faulty equipment was ruled out or replaced I needed to ground every tank's water. At the time of my testing commercial ground probes were not available. I used a length of stainless steel wire, one end connected to an electrical ground and the other placed in the aquarium water. Since the current travels through the entire system there is no need to put the ground in the tank. I prefer the ground probe to be in the filter or sump. Several companies have since come out with ground probes. The most popular design is a titanium probe that will be in contact with the water. Copper wire runs from the probe to a spade connector that you attach to an electrical ground.
If it does not shock us, why do we care if we have voltage in our aquariums?

Fish have a sensory organ called the lateral line complex. With this organ the fish can detect pressure changes in the immediate vicinity, from the movement of currents or from other fish. It is also used for navigation, finding food and avoiding predators. In most fish this lateral line complex can also detect or sense electrical charges in the water. If you have any stray voltage in the water it can overwhelm this organ, much like living in a deafening noise environment. This will cause stress, and among other things, suppress the immune system making your fish more venerable to natural bacteria and parasites which occur in every tank.

On my first test tank, my reef, I had a yellow tang that I would say was skittish at best. You could only observe this fish if he did not see you. Immediately after grounding this aquarium the yellow tang would swim in front of anyone without fear.

Stray voltage has been speculated to be one of the factors that can cause Hole in the Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HHLLE).

Stray voltage is something that exists in every tank. Stray voltage can be eliminated with a simple ground probe available at most pet shops in the twenty dollar range. Elimination of stray voltage is a simple step in reducing the stress on your fish. Every marine tank should be grounded for you and your fish's protection.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Re: Stray Voltage in the Aquarium
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 19:44:40 »
Good article, Kenn, thanks!

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 20:37:45 »
Good article, Kenn, thanks!

Kev
+1 Thanks kenn! Just another affirmation as to why I've run these in the past. Great read.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:32:24 »
I have two sicce 2500 pumps on a skimmer. Both leak about 12v in the system. Possibly by induction. A titanium heater that is grounded fixed the issue symptoms. Assuming the issue is really still there and it gives the electricity a path to travel. Is there away other than replacement to fix or should I just not worry about it now?