2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Algae  (Read 2043 times)

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
Algae
« on: March 11, 2013, 11:18:26 »
So seem to have lots of algae growing on glass and rocks.  Think its ditoms on rock on glass its a kinda green film algae.  So how do I get rid of it. I run a protein skimmer. Do weekly water changes of 25 gallons on a 125 total system volume.  I scrub the glass all the time and it comes right back within a day and is not couldying the water.   So couple of questions. Would a uv sterilizer be a good thing to add to system. Any cons to adding one..  what about phosphate granules or carbon. Should next investement be in one or all of these options. 

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Algae
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:06:22 »
In order of effectivness

1.) cheato growing in refugium with lots of light on 18 hours and pruned monthly to weekly. Should be kept thin and stretched out.
2.) Gfo in reactor
3.) lanthuim chloride
4.) gfo in bag
5.) uv sterilizer

What does your daily feed schedule entail. Foods and qty's.

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:28:26 »
Well I do have cheato did not know to leave light on for 18 hours. So will change that timer.

And think ill pick up a reactor for gfo.

Feeding is usually differs stuff everyday I like to keep everthing excited.  Mysis shrimp. Lrs frenzy cyclo ezee.  Marine flakes.     I usually feed once a day    Some times I spot feed some corals every now and then.     

Lights on tank run. Blues 9:30-9:30
Whites.  10:30-8:30

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
Algae
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 15:23:19 »
Are you using RO/DI water? 

You could be adding phosphates via the water change if not.

I tend to get a film on the glass two weeks into my GFO change.  Ill change out my GFO and I'm good to go for a couple more weeks.  It's my signal that its time for a change.

I would look at the TDS that's being added in your water change water and add a GFO reactor to your system.

Happy Reefing

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 16:59:08 »
Rodi system is good brand new just got two weeks ago and is reading 259 in and 0 out

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 17:00:59 »
How much of a cleaning crew should I have. Right now only have
3 pepermint shrimp
6 mini hermits
6 red banded snail
6 of those like zombie snails.

I don't know should I add more cleaning guys and if so how much of what and how much of each.  What do yall have in your tanks

Offline volcano

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 17:51:17 »
I have a ton of cleaners in my crew.  I used emerald craps, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, all kinds of snails and crabs.  Serpent stars, sand sifting stars.   There are tons of cleaners in my tank.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 18:21:48 »
You might want to cut back your lighting time until the algae is under control.

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 19:31:16 »
You might want to cut back your lighting time until the algae is under control.
+1 i just haad an algae and diatom bloom I turned off the light for 3 days and left the lights on my ats that whole time it immediatly got rid of everything in my tank. An algae turf scrubber is really useful for filtration and getting rid of algae if you are interested go to algaescrubber.net
90 gallon shallow

Offline volcano

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 10:12:58 »
Another great algae eater are urchins.  I have a pencil urchin and it will clean the coraline off a rock and it's soft to the touch.  It keeps powerheads, glass, and rockworks super clean.  Overnight it will strip a rock from purple to white.  It doesn't bother me because the coraline grows right back and I know the urchin is hard at work. I will put it in my sump and let it clean for a week then return it back to the display.  One of my favorite cleaners.

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 18:34:56 »
They are reef safe?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Scarletlace

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 10:38:09 »
I have them in my reef tank. Never had an issue. Only see them at night with a flash light :) hehe

Offline volcano

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 21:22:07 »
Yep, they are reef safe.  You can see in this night time pic how an urchin cleans rockwork.  You can see the path it chose by the bright white areas around the anemone.  It seriously strips coraline and hair algae right off the rock.  You have to be careful with frags, because it will knock them over and can dislodge rockwork if it isn't secure.  Triggers will flip them over and eat them from time to time, but mine hasn't touched it or the pincushion.

Sorry for the crummy pic, but my phone doesn't like taking pics when the moonlighting is on.  You can see the spiky urchin at the bottom left of the anemone.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 21:27:25 by volcano »

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 23:00:53 »
I got one really small one. My coralline grows so fast no way he can keep up. My tank is 4 months and my power head or already 100% covered from being brand new. That's how fast it grows lol.  But he cleaned of sponge bobs house which I'm not happy about I wanted that to stay covered so it didn't stand out so much lol. 

Sent from my HTC6435LVW