2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: New to the hobby in Dayton  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Alexandra

• Fry
New to the hobby in Dayton
« on: December 03, 2017, 21:34:36 »
Hello, my name is Alex & i am in the process of trying to get my first salt water tank, a 52 gallon, going. Plumbing is my biggest hold up. All references on someone available by the hour appreciated.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: New to the hobby in Dayton
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 21:45:48 »
Hi Alex, welcome to Ohio Reef. Hopefully someone on here with some time and knowledge will be able to help you get it plumbed up.

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 22:16:08 »
Welcome, glad u finally got logged in. What is it that you need help with?
John

Offline Nbehnken

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 22:58:15 »
Welcome to Ohio Reef.

Offline Alexandra

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 00:53:10 »
Welcome, glad u finally got logged in. What is it that you need help with?

I dont feel comfortable drilling my tank. I am not qualified. Sigh... my dad a retired cosmetic dentist stayed with me over thanksgiving, and even he wouldnt attempt it. I would think if anyone, he should of felt qualified. Everyone is scared its going to crack. Its not tempered.

Im not a plumber... I enjoy botany, biology & chemistry... at this point i willing to pay what it takes to get out the situation ive gotten myself into.

Absolutely, I should of payed more attention to construction, before jumping in but i didnt & now so here i am.

I spent my evening reading plumbing intro stuff in the reef2reef forum. Everyone else seems to get immense joy from the build. Is the fact i dont want to run out to buy pvc piping, and a saw to then make multiple attempts to hopefully get it right some red flag?

I had a contractor do a remodel on my home last summer. He'll install my rodi but not until February when he's at my place for other things.

Ironically i feel like a fish out of water. Its the worst feeling in the world.

Offline Alexandra

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 00:55:22 »
Thank you for the welcome :)

Offline Castlet

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 01:11:57 »
Welcome, no need to fear. I understand drilling holes in a new tank and set up can be un nerving at times. But no need to worry. If you know it is not tempered. It will be no problem. Just dont buy the cheapest nits out there. Bulk reef supply bits are decent for the job. I made a mistake of buying a dble pack that were cheap. The diamond coating worn off quickly and caused some minor chipping on the inside. Still no problem. A templet drilled first and a clamp to hold it in place is key.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 07:46:32 »
Welcome to Ohio Reef. I think Corals Galore in Fairborn offers a tank drilling service.

120 gallon mixed reef.

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 08:34:02 »
I dont feel comfortable drilling my tank. I am not qualified. Sigh... my dad a retired cosmetic dentist stayed with me over thanksgiving, and even he wouldnt attempt it. I would think if anyone, he should of felt qualified. Everyone is scared its going to crack. Its not tempered.

Im not a plumber... I enjoy botany, biology & chemistry... at this point i willing to pay what it takes to get out the situation ive gotten myself into.

Absolutely, I should of payed more attention to construction, before jumping in but i didnt & now so here i am.

I spent my evening reading plumbing intro stuff in the reef2reef forum. Everyone else seems to get immense joy from the build. Is the fact i dont want to run out to buy pvc piping, and a saw to then make multiple attempts to hopefully get it right some red flag?

I had a contractor do a remodel on my home last summer. He'll install my rodi but not until February when he's at my place for other things.

Ironically i feel like a fish out of water. Its the worst feeling in the world.

Do you have an overflow box? What type of plumbing is needed? Drilling the tank is pretty simple, I have drilled several, but there is a risk when drilling any tank.
John

Offline Nbehnken

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 11:14:31 »
Corals Galore will drill glass for roughly $25 a hole. I’m fairly certain they will also install the overflow and down pipes as well. At that point you can just use flexible tubing in the sump.

Offline Alexandra

• Fry
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 00:42:55 »
Welcome to Ohio Reef. I think Corals Galore in Fairborn offers a tank drilling service.

120 gallon mixed reef.

Thank you!

Offline Alexandra

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 00:43:56 »
Corals Galore will drill glass for roughly $25 a hole. I’m fairly certain they will also install the overflow and down pipes as well. At that point you can just use flexible tubing in the sump.

Thanks! Appreciate the leads!

Offline Alexandra

• Fry
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 03:00:01 »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 19:44:24 »

Alexandra, Welcome to a really good club! I saw your post asking about club members tank set up. I am on the southern end of the club area, Hamilton. If you are down this way and want to see a couple of tanks set up give me a shout. I have a 120g Main display and a 168g rimless tank running as well.

5132386651 (Rick)