2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: I love algae!  (Read 1283 times)

Offline zachegg

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
I love algae!
« on: February 20, 2019, 21:00:19 »
Well let me qualify that statement with I love algae in my new algae scrubber. I have recently(last 3-4 months) started dosing and was looking for a way to extend my water change intervals. I had gotten it out to about 3-4 weeks but my phosphates were just to high and I couldn't seem to get them below .20. Even after my water changes it was still at this level. Everything in my tank seemed ok with it so I wasn't overly stressed but I did want to get it down. This is where the algae scrubber comes into the story. Near the end of January I bought a Clearview algae scrubber from someone in the classifieds. It was about half price and I really didn't have time to build one myself so I figured if I was going to do it this was the time. I had to order a pump so it was very close to the end of January that it was installed. So it has a little over 3 weeks of use so far. So no water changes have been made and no other changes for that matter have been made since the scrubber was installed. Two thing that I have noticed. First my phosphates are down to .10 which I though was pretty amazing in that short of time and my ph swing has flattened out just a little bit. The lows aren't quite as low. I cleaned it for the first time about a week ago. Luckily I have it sitting on top of my sump because I found that when there is to much algae on the plastic mesh it tends to leak because the algae pushes the water to the outside of the box and you get a little drip. Overall I'm very happy with it. I have set the light to come on just before my ph swings down and just before it swings up. I will adjust the total time the lights are on when I get phosphates down a bit more.

Offline Warhawk937

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: I love algae!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 21:35:55 »
I’m so glad it worked out for you cheers