2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: My first nem still finding a home  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
My first nem still finding a home
« on: December 24, 2017, 13:04:42 »
I got my first nem Friday.  Got him home, tried to attach him where I wanted him to go.....no dice.  He them tumbled across the aquarium to the other side, and had touch down.  I could tell by looking at him, that he wasn't gonna stay.  There was a lot of flow and he wouldn't relax.  I know it's only day #2, but I had a feeling.  Now were on day 3 and he has relocated.  This time, he has dropped stright down, and wedged himself in to a hole/cave that isn't easily seen unless I search for it.  He is around the side of the tank.  He planted himself within 3-4" of my duncan coral. I think once the lights come on, he will realize that he doesn't have enough light.  SO he will pack up and move again.  I could be wrong, but we'll see.  Lights come on in a few hours,  So it will be interesting to see how he reacts.  (the light you see in the photos are from my flashlight)

I fought for months with my duncan coral trying to find him a location he was happy in.  He was pissing me off.  Now that I have, the nem decides to move in to the same spot.  So I need to move that duncan out of there before the nem kills it.  So I get to fight with that relocation all over again.  dammit.

Here is a picture of the nems new location that he THINKS is home.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 21:41:24 by crankbait09 »

Offline Agame43

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: My first nem still finding a home
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 21:05:01 »

Crankbait09, isn't that crazy, I have 2 newer Nems that don't move as of yet? Now this post will jinx those 2 of mine and they may take off looking for greener pastures in my tank but for now they seem to stay put and yes if your Nem loves the area that your Duncan coral is sitting in, well you may want to move the Duncan, these things are bad mojo on other corals - - - Good Luck

Merry Christmas to you and your family

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 21:32:03 »
went and looked at the nem to see what kind of progress we were making.  It looks like we have gone backwards, maybe.

The nem was on the surface of the rock.....now, for some reason, he is sucking himself even further in to the hole/rock.  I mean he has zero light whatsoever.  What could this possibly mean?

Offline Humphrey

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 00:18:43 »
Not uncommon for a newly introduced nem. It may mean nothing and could go 3 or 4 days-  do not try to pull him out. Just be patient here I think. He can get out when he’s ready.  Then he’ll likely move again as you surmise. If he starts looking happy, you may need to move the Dunkin. The dunkin has to stay where you put him. The Nem doesn’t and won’t so probably best to let the nem find it’s own sweet spot.

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 14:09:07 »
Having similar experience with the rock nem from the white elephant this year. Had placed him in what I though was a great spot, but he has move to the back of one of my rock islands, so we can't see him now. Granted all of that may be subject to change when I get some new rock in.

Jordan

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk