2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Let's Talk Polyp Extension - Milli Experts please join in  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Agame43

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Let's Talk Polyp Extension - Milli Experts please join in
« on: February 12, 2019, 22:34:52 »

All, I have a fairly common and a very broadly discussed question. Pictured on this thread is my JF Super Sonic Mill but as you can see it has very little PE in day light hours. When I check at night I see a lot more PE. Why would this milli have a lack of PE during the daytime?

Open Items for discussion:
 1. PAR too high too low? It is currently about 380PAR
 2. Too high Alk - I run 10.5dKh
 3. Lack of flow - I run 3 Apex WAV's and one Gyre
 4. Fish problem?
 5. Too high Nitrates - I run about 25 currently
 6. Too high Phosphates - My RODI TDS did creep up - filters changed
 7. My other SPS have descent PE during the day
 8  Is this coral still adjusting to my tank? I got this at the beginning of December?

9. Any further ideas and conversation points?

Thanks ahead of time for taking time to add to this post!

Offline erky

• Adult
Re: Let's Talk Polyp Extension - Milli Experts please join in
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 08:08:58 »
i found in my tank that super steady alk and amazing flow will get me PE.

You didnt you offer me a frag of that while i was there?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 08:26:24 »
Is the coral growing OK? This is just me, but thru all my issues the past year I’ve learned that my corals were stressed at any nitrate over 15. Some more stressed than others.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 11:16:21 »

Erky, agree on the very steady Alk, mine is steady just that I run it at a higher level than most do.

Jesse, interesting point, does a higher Nitrate level really stress corals? I only ask this back to you because you hear of very good tanks with high levels?

I always liken this hobby to cooking: We all get our Chocolate Chip cookie recipe and ingredients, we all make the cookie but in the end we all come up with a similar version of this cookie but just slightly different.

I have no real issue with growth at all, meaning I see almost all of my corals growing at some rate with good progress. Thanks for the replies guys -  much appreciated! 

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 14:34:31 »
I completely agree with you Rick. And I know each system is it’s own. I’m just wondering, at what level does a nutrient become a pollutant.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 21:59:37 »
Sps are way too hard to try and figure out:)  I dont think lighting would be an issue.  If fish were nipping you should see issues with other corals.  What are your actual po4 readings?  I like to have some phos and nitrate in my tank.  I seem to get pretty amazing colors and think some of my nutrients are helping out with that.  I also dont like my alk so high.  My guess would be water issues that this particular coral isnt happy with.  I would aim for .06 phos and lower your alk.  Jesse has started running a sulfur reactor and swears it has completely turned around his tank, from his experience you might want to work on lowering the nitrates also.  Many times each coral has its own sweet spot.
Jeff

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 11:57:15 »

Jeff,  thanks and points well taken. I am bringing the Alk down now slowly and I will do more testing on my Phos as well.

Thanks for your input, Rick

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 15:02:50 »
Jeff,  thanks and points well taken. I am bringing the Alk down now slowly and I will do more testing on my Phos as well.

Thanks for your input, Rick

i hate to debate you here, but i saw your tank 2 weekends ago and I wouldnt touch anything. your colors are good some are a bit pale I think a few fox flame prefer a little lower par than you have them at. Your nitrates are pretty high for a SPS dominated tank, but Jason Fox keeps his very elevated and we have seen his success over the years! I have one mille that was the furriest thing i ever saw when i got it from Micha, but then when I put it in my tank no PE but 6+ months later it is finally starting to show some PE.

This hobby is really fun but when you go changing the stability of your tank bad things will happen. I know everyone has their opinion on this, but just my 2 cents. It is not always greener!

how do you test your alk, I have the alkatronic and its incredible the resolution i have with it, but I assumed my alk was super stable before i installed it. Then i tested every hour on the hour and the swing was pretty wild. if you test you alk at the same time everyday you will probably always think your alk is super stable. Id suggest testing 4 hours after lights go off (my biggest consumption time) then right before they come on, and finally mid light cycle.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 18:08:53 »

Erky,  thanks for your reply and I agree there is not much wrong with my tank. I really like my color and growth plus I am slowly working on getting my Nitrates and Phosphates down. I have never had much luck with the Mille group and have stayed away for that reason but do like them and thought that with this tank doing well that I would try a couple of them and see what happens.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 18:11:27 »

Here is a side view of my tank. The picture is taken with my LG, filter and all blue LED's.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 19:47:56 »
i know with filters it makes the colors pop a bit more, but that looks fantastic like i mentioned above!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 20:50:29 »
I have been reading where more people are keeping their alk levels just alittle above 7.  I dont like it that low, I seem to see issues when I get down that low plus being that low there isnt a lot of wiggle room if you should have an alk drop. Your corals are great looking and appear to be doing well.  You do need to keep a watch on the phos and nitrate, they can quickly go south on you.  I find higher phos levels will cause slower growth and hair algae growth.  I dont worry about mine until it reaches into the .1 range.
jeff

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 21:49:10 »

Jeff, thanks. My Phos did get to 0.107 and that's when I started to drop it back down. Like I said above my RODI TDS went up but my Phos was already elevated.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 22:08:06 »
I don’t feel that’s too high on you phos , like erky said give the milli some time
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 10:09:32 »
FYI in the first post that is a tenius not a milli. Tenius don't typically have very good polyp extension during the day. Not always the case but more often then not.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 10:43:49 »
FYI in the first post that is a tenius not a milli. Tenius don't typically have very good polyp extension during the day. Not always the case but more often then not.

I can ID a few corals out there pretty well, but what is a good source to know how to ID the majority of the acro species out there

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 11:40:39 »

Brian, great call but look at the new pic I posted from JF website. This is what I have, bit confused. Still a really cool coral.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 12:02:43 »
There is a big difference in growth patterns between your first pic and last pic. The first pic I would have to agree with Brian, that’s a Tenuis. The last pic looks nothing like a Tenuis. Just my opinion though...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 15:28:53 »
Jason is calling it a milli but his pic doesn’t look like it. Anway, I have some thoughts on polyp extension and will try to make some time this weekend to share.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 19:33:53 »

Brian, Jesse, thanks for the input. I am not the best at calling out types of coral. When I first got mine it did look like the pic that I posted from JF. As I have had it the corilites have grown more pronounced and now that both of you call it out it does look like my other Tenuis - oh well. Guess what that may explain why it is not a shaggy milli - no big deal - looks great!

I'll keep you posted on more growth - Thanks!

Brian - If you can put words to paper and talk a bit about PE that would be great!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 20:05:19 »
Whatever it is, it’s beautiful Rick. Do you get any PE out of it or were you just expecting more? There is 0 PE on that first pic. I hope that’s not what it always looks like.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 23:28:21 »

Later in the evening I do get pretty good PE, Jeff and Erk may have said it best - Give it some time.