2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Vibrant problems?  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
Vibrant problems?
« on: October 16, 2018, 13:09:38 »
I have a friend that recently started using Vibrant in her tank.  She said she's been using it in her tank for a couple weeks.  During this process, she has lost two fish.
Could this possibly be coincidental, or are fish known to react negatively to this Vibrant?  I have used it for a couple months now with ZERO ill effect.  I can't imagine what's causing her tank to go bad.

She says her parameters are fine (no, I don't know details)

She did mention that two of her fish seemed to be gasping for air last night.  Vibrant related?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Vibrant problems?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 23:22:11 »
These types of products can reduce the Oxygen levels in the tank.  When using something like this, you should keep your skimmer running full blast.........if the product is causing the skimmer to overflow, just let it drain into the sump until it calms down.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 06:03:44 »
I'm gonna have to check to see if she has a skimmer. I think she has a hang on back type, I think.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 10:16:08 »
I really don't understand.  I received an update a short bit ago.  She said all her fish have died due to the Vibrant.

I use vibrant weekly, if not every two weeks, no problems at all.
I have accidentally overdosed.  When I say over dose I mean OVERDOSE.  Never had any ill effects due to it. 
She uses the recommended dose and loses all her fish.

Maybe it was an oxygen issue.  But I don't understand why I don't experience the same thing.

OK, minor detail left out.  Not sure if this is what caused it, but she says she does not run a skimmer.  SHe's got a small 40 gallon tank, if that matters.  She said she did a water change last night but it didn't help.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:38:37 by crankbait09 »

Offline Humphrey

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 00:29:20 »
Has she gotten any new fish recently?

I ordered twice in the last 6 weeks from live aquaria and lost half the fish in QT, and I medicate.  Humblefish on reeftrader mentioned wholesalers have had a lot of disease lately.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 09:56:37 »
no new fish.  She's had these guys for awhile. But all have gone belly up