2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Acro free tank  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Acro free tank
« on: January 16, 2018, 17:08:55 »
Long story short, I have recently discovered red bugs and AEFW in my tank. I have no idea where the AEFW came from, but they are certainly present. The red bugs I have battled with before and have came to the conclusion that Interceptor is not a 100% effective treatment for them. Every frag that has went into my 180 has been treated with interceptor and I have done 2 full tank treatments since I have put the 180 up. Approx 2 months after the last treatment with no knew frags being added I saw them on one of my large acro colonies. I had my suspicions about the interceptor but I am almost 100% certain about it now. It definitely knocks them down, but I believe that some are resistant to it and after time they make a comeback. AEFW, again I have no clue where they came from, but since I def. have them and there is no in tank treatment I have decided to pull all acros from my tank and allow it to sit fallow for several months starving both of these critters in theory. I am not sure what direction I am going with my tank and am not sure if I will do acros again, but I do love the sticks as well as other types of corals. One thing for sure is that if I do I will be way more diligent about not just dipping, but quarantining any new arrivals. Lastly, if I sold any of you frags that had either of these I apologize. I know how serious of a matter this is and how hard it can be to overcome, many of you I have contacted personally and have not heard any bad reports, I hope it stays that way.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
Re: Acro free tank
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 21:18:30 »
steve
  I have battled aefw before a couple years back.  It is a real battle.  If I were you I would keep that 150 rubbermaid tub and treat your acros in that.  I would pull all acros out of main tank and keep them in the tub while treating and leaving main tank fallow for 2 months.  I would do weekly dips of corals in bayer and return to the tub.  Either break off the coral, if it is encrusted  dip the whole coral/rock, just rinse well before returning to tub.  No fish or inverts in the tub or the residue bayer could possibly kill them.  Inverts for sure. 
  Another option if you want to live with them would be to remove each coral and inspect very closely for eggs, destroy any eggs or if really bad toss the coral.  Add a wrasse or two which are known to feed on the aefw.  Then blow off the corals every couple of weeks to ck for any worms coming off.  From all the reading I have done your can live with them this way.
  I treated my corals by dipping and returning to my display tank.  I wouldnt do that again, I killed all my shrimp within minutes of putting a rock back into the tank, then I was afraid for my fish.  It was a total hassle and ended up breaking a lot of corals by dipping the whole rock.  The red planet I had was the worst and was covered with eggs at the base.  I ended up tossing the coral and using a torch and burning all the encrustation along with the eggs.
Best of luck and with persistence you can beat them.
jeff

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 22:06:03 »
Been there Steve.  That was probably the best thing that came out of my acro issue......definitely no redbugs.

I had AEFW in my 90, when I tore it down, I removed all of the corals from what they were attached to, tried to only keep the live part of the corals.  This only works for the smaller sticks where you can see everything, the larger pieces, I had to break up.  If you can reduce the chance that you are moving eggs from tank to tank, then you stand a much better chance.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 00:32:28 »
I gave all my acros, except for a few small pieces to Gary. He is running them through a series of dips and possible potassium treatment in a quarantine system, we will see what makes it.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 08:19:47 »
i knew about this, but still sorry to hear!

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 11:04:04 »
Thanks Erik

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 15:38:49 »
Sorry to hear that. Hard to believe after all these years there still is no in tank treatment for AEFW. For Redbugs interceptor seems to be hit or miss but at least there is treatment. There is a new thing going around called black bugs. Apparently it makes AEFW seem like a walk in the park. Everyone who has had them says it is game over for acros.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 15:50:56 »
Sorry to hear that. Hard to believe after all these years there still is no in tank treatment for AEFW. For Redbugs interceptor seems to be hit or miss but at least there is treatment. There is a new thing going around called black bugs. Apparently it makes AEFW seem like a walk in the park. Everyone who has had them says it is game over for acros.

so i was keeping this close to my chest, but honestly if this can help someone who wants to try it then why not, but I have a larvacide i use for mosquito that does not harm fish. I wonder if this would do anything for AEFW, Steve is welcome to one of them, I imagine the skimmer would need to stay off for a period of time.

Steve you have my number I can explain more if you want.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 17:09:53 »
Sounds good, will call you.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 18:34:42 »

Thanks Brian, it really does suck. My vision not being what it used to be, I just didn't notice the signs of the AEFW. Once I did notice them on 1 coral I ended up finding them on quite a few. Hadn't heard of black bugs yet, sounds pretty nasty.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 20:48:59 »

Steve, very sorry to hear about the bug issues. Could you post any pics of what you acros look like with this issue?

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 22:34:48 »
Both cause polyp retraction and color loss. The red bugs leave no other visible signs, but the AEFW leave perfect white circles, bite marks and eventually areas of tissue loss similar to STN. They will also clear an area of tissue to lay there eggs. Sorry no good pics, but there are plenty online.

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 06:21:51 »
That sucks steve sorry to hear i am coral less in my tank as well i understand the struggle

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 07:47:56 »
Sounds good, will call you.

let me know if you want to try this stuff, i have done some research and it is safe for corals