2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 67 gallon shallow reef cube  (Read 11135 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Re: 67 gallon shallow reef cube
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 23:03:02 »
Looks great!  I'm more worried about the GFCI breaker the MH is (not?) attached to?  That would be... shocking.  It is a very nice setup.  Should be quite productive!

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 23:49:58 »
Love the setup and the tank foot print. Great idea with anti-siphon on the return.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2010, 00:26:21 »
kevin- are you thinking the orange thing is a gfci? its just a splitter, anyways you supposedly arent supposed to put MH on gfci. Anyways, GFCI's scare the crap out of me... cutting out all the time and whatnot. I just use a titanium grounding probe.

Brian- yeah, the siphon break works very quickly, If I had drilled on the return at the water line, it would have either been really loud and spraying all the time, or it would take forever for the siphon to break, especially since the surface area of the tank is same as a 125, it would probably flood my sump by the time it breaks.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 01:24:31 »
I have also seen a number of them with salt creep around the little hole and on some reflectors from it. Looks like a great fail safe. Much improvement over the traditional method.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 08:12:25 »
kevin- are you thinking the orange thing is a gfci? its just a splitter, anyways you supposedly arent supposed to put MH on gfci. Anyways, GFCI's scare the crap out of me... cutting out all the time and whatnot. I just use a titanium grounding probe.

That was a joke...
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 17:21:49 »
anyways you supposedly arent supposed to put MH on gfci.

use arc fault breakers for lights.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

slandis3

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 18:35:33 »

I have my system setup on 2 gfci breakers. I also use ground probes to help pick up any stray voltage.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 18:53:45 »
more pics to come shortly, added a small yellow tang and 5 chromis earlier, about to add some more fish and all of my corals.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 13:43:55 »
cool cant wait to see
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2010, 21:21:03 »
I saw it today.  Really nice tank, Mike.  Frags are very happy here; eating well and stretching out!

Kev

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 18:16:45 »
well, everything is in place and happy. I need to find a way to keep critters out the overflow slot, two days ago I found my tiny shrimp goby made its way to the sump, but a chromis was not so lucky and didnt make it past the gate valve. last night I found the energency overflow was going and my clownfish made its way down to the gate valve. I opened it and he was looking bad. today he was all better though! im thinking of just putting some eggcrate in there to keep most fish out. If a chromis goes down every once in a while and becomes giant nassarious food, im not too  heart broken.

I got around to taking some pics earlier and it isnt easy to capture the depth of the tank, and the camera sucks and makes everything look blue. Its amazing how full of corals the tank is and how I managed to fit it all in 20l at one time. Current fish list is: Small Yellow tang, talboti damsel, 4 chromis, lg pinkspot watchman, shrimp-ray goby, perc clown, and I decided to risk putting my mystery wrasse in. The mystery has never shown any signs of jumping, and I cover the tank at night.

There are rock walls on the left and rear sides with a bridge that spans from the back left corner down to near the bottom front right corner. I really like this layout, but I think I will probably move the bridge because the best view is coming from the right panel which isnt the main viewing panel

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2010, 18:18:19 »
wow the depth is really deceiving in these pics. for reference in the last pic, the wellso is about 16" back and the rocks behind it are about 30" back from the front

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2010, 21:08:14 »
Oh wow that is really nice, the added depth gives it a more natural reef look. Nice job!  :-ThumbUpsm

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2010, 21:46:46 »
yeah, that is my favorite thing about the tank, it seems much more natural and open than the standard rock wall. Its really almost one of those "you have to see it in person to get it" kind of things... pictures (atleast from my camera) cant do it a justice. My big wellso is loving all the extra space/light, he is bigger than ever now!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 21:48:49 by Reefinmike »

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 10:29:26 »
very nice looks over stocked allready
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 01:24:37 »
Got 5 new corals today, all for between $20 and $25. Three of them were "scratch n dents"

nice little brain, has some potential

anyone know the name on this one?^^^^^ I had it on the tip of my tongue and forgot, think it begins with a "M"

scratch n dent lobo. were 3 heads, one good, one hurtin, and one dead. chopped the dead off.

nice little brains, the one on the left is pretty nice, odd coloration. The one on the right is difficult to get a picture of, it is mostly purple/brownish with some green, I bought it because it looks like it has a LOT of potential and can turn out really nice given the right conditions.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 01:52:28 »
for reference to how off the colors are because my crappy cam/abilities, in the last pic, the lobo in the background, the outer rim is actually a hot metallic pink and the inside is a teal color.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010, 08:14:27 »
nice
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2010, 09:54:53 »
That is a really nice tank.    You did a great job with the rock work.   Corals look nice.

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
    • Real Job:  HunnyBuns Nursery & Reborn Supply
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2010, 17:32:57 »
Looking really good, Mike. 
-Steph
--------------
What do you call an old reefer with no tank? 
:-(
-----------------------------

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2010, 17:19:06 »
Finally got around to finishing off the stand yesterday, now all I need to do is paint the half inch ring of unpainted ply that goes around the tank very carefully. Also ordered a reefkeeper lite for temp control and just to simplify thing and a new MH bulb.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2010, 01:14:46 »
looks great and full
SIZE DOES MATTER