2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: School Site Visit  (Read 7182 times)

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
School Site Visit
« on: August 13, 2011, 23:19:10 »
I am arranging a site visit for Bethel Schools for next week sometime.  Who is interested and if so post your availability here.  We will visit the classroom and meet the middle school science teacher, Mrs. Mosley.

If you have ideas for this project please post in this forum.  Some of the things I will be working on with the clubs help as identified by Lazy...

Idea's for next steps.
Take a visit to the classroom. Objective of the visit is identify the location and space they would like the tank. Check electric and available water/drain source, internet access i.e. Ethernet port or wireless. This will help us determine what size tank is appropriate, room for things such as ATO.
Talk with teacher about how access to the tank would work. i.e. days/hours, scheduling process etc..
Take some pictures of the space.
Then we could begin our planning and seek donations to meet the system plan. I think we will get donations very easy. It is hard to say no to kids. We could probably outfit the system with all brand new gear from our sponsors alone. Ohio Reef funds could also help with the odd ball items such as GFCI, power cords etc...
Then based on tank constraints we can plan live stock and maintenance schedule
These our just some idea to help get started.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
Re: School Site Visit
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 05:46:30 »
I'm available Fridays.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 07:54:49 »
I will have to get back to you at a later time about my availability, as I am starting in a new department on base. Not sure as of yet when would be the best time for me to volunteer.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 09:24:03 »
I am free anytime after 5 through the week and on the weekends
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 11:55:29 »
I can be available after 5:00 if I have a day or two notice.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 12:23:05 »
I'm checking on her availability for this week.  Just sent you a request to grant her member site access so that she can interact with us which I believe is really important.

Who has a relationship with our sponsors?  I would like to start making a list of things that we need.  One of the more important ones I think will be remote monitoring capabilities. That way if things go south, we can react quickly.

Please chime in on 'things' and I will consolidate and try to start making a list so that we can ask members and sponsors to contribute to the project....

Tank (hopefully predrilled if not need overflows and tubing/pipes)----Todd_W
Stand / shims----Not Needed
Light----I am providing a 36" 96W Power Compact, but if you have a better one, please let me know
substrate/live sand
live rock
corals (Softies, LPS, SPS <maybe just hardy SPS>
fish
hermits
shrimp
snails
??cucumber??
??starfish??
Food dry and frozen
Small fridge with freezer (I have one of these)----Todd_W
sump/fuge --- I believe if we could make this a display fuge it would be much more beneficial
macroalgae
DSB
Salt
Refractometer, hydrometer, salinity meter
Peristaltic dosing pump and chemicals
parameter testing kits
Media reactor 
Calcium reactor 
heater(s)
circulation pumps
return pump for the fuge
light for the fuge
skimmer Darin at Aquatic Refuge
ATO
RO/DI ---I have one but need to replace the filters
Container for RO/DI water
Container for Saltwater mix
Pumps to move water from container to container
Fittings for water access and drainage---It is right by a sink and I have some tubing
Long tongs
rubber gloves
Targeted coral feeder
Mag float cleaner
Power strips
GFI plug add on---Not needed, entire plug row is on GFI
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 13:35:31 by Todd W. »

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 13:41:22 »
I would be happy to help with any of the design and building of the refugium.  :smiley-happy112:
 I will also have a mag7 that I will gladly donate very shortly.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 21:12:43 »
That RO/DI should be good for at least a few more cycles before needing the first 3 stages replaced, The charcoal drinking filter on top should be good, the membrane should still have plenty of life, and I gave you some DI color change resin, If the other is black it needs changed(it looked dark green to me if I recall) That's a 6 stage and should work just fine for them, Just needs as close to 60psi as possible to run efficiently. I still have the drinking water tap on my sink for it; ROFL we went through all that trouble of loosening it then it was left haha, I also have your reactor caps, you may swing by anytime to get em or I can meet you somewhere if you'd like.

Let me know if you need any help with the design of the stand etc, I had a few drawn up for a display tank and fuge with a common hidden sump.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 15:30:49 »
OK we have a date and time for the school site survey.

This Thursday at 5:30.  Bethel Middle School.

http://www.bethel.k12.oh.us/] [url]http://www.bethel.k12.oh.us/[/url]

7490 State Route 201,
Tipp City, OH 45371

If you have questions call me 937 six two zero 2705.

Please let me know if you plan on attending so I can get a head count.

Todd

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 17:23:39 »
Thanks Todd, I will be there.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 18:47:48 »
I'm 99% sure I will be there

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 05:14:25 »
Sorry guys, but I've got a appointment at the VA. 

Offline Boonjob

Re: Re: School Site Visit
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 21:59:17 »
I'm 99% sure I will be there

I won't be able to come today, we are having a company picnic and in their infinite wisdom gthey choose to take up the whole parking lot and I didn't feel like parking blocks away so I just had my wife drop me off,and there's no way I can get home get another car and be there at 5 30, sorry
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:55:07 by Boonjob »

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 09:46:42 »
Reminder that the Bethel School site visit it today at 5:30.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 12:13:08 »
Sounds good, see you at 5:30.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 12:49:47 »
would love to come but I'll be working.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 16:49:58 »
Not sure if you thought of it already Todd but I had planned to bring a tape measure,level,small tubaware container and a camera

Use the level to find a good level spot; or so we can atleast gather the right materials when building the stand. I know some of those schools aren't the levelest ;)

Tape measure to figure out how much room we have to work with to determine tank size and placement to assure it isn't an obstruction/fire hazard etc, and make sure nothing is able to hit it.

Container to get a sample of the water at the location so we know what we are working with(hardness,mineral count, etc)

and a camera just to give us all an idea of what we are working with and to help develope a thread on the forum

Just an idea ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 16:56:54 by Boonjob »

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 17:26:52 »
Not sure if you thought of it already Todd but I had planned to bring a tape measure,level,small tubaware container and a camera

Use the level to find a good level spot; or so we can atleast gather the right materials when building the stand. I know some of those schools aren't the levelest ;)

Tape measure to figure out how much room we have to work with to determine tank size and placement to assure it isn't an obstruction/fire hazard etc, and make sure nothing is able to hit it.

Container to get a sample of the water at the location so we know what we are working with(hardness,mineral count, etc)

and a camera just to give us all an idea of what we are working with and to help develope a thread on the forum

Just an idea ;)

Smart thinking on the water sample Boon

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 18:12:18 »
Initial meeting with Brian and Leslie Mosley (science teacher) we took a look at the classroom.  Brian will post pics when he gets home.  Measurements for where the tank will go is on a counter in the classroom.  53 inches long, 24 inches wide and 32 inches to above cabinets.  Heat may be a concern as there is no air conditioning in the room, only 'conditioned' air.  Basically a big dehumidifier in the room.  So it looks like T5s or LEDs are the options.

The concept is having a 36" tank with a small fuge beside it.

I have a water sample and will be checking it out for parameters.  Initial TDS is 337.  I will post others soon.  We also finding out if it is 'city' or well water.  I'm pretty sure it is city water. 

There is room under the counter for an RO/DI filter.

Power access is plentiful and there is a GFI feeding the long power strip on the wall.  Of course this would have to be tested to be sure it is wired correctly.

I will be getting the email address of the IT guy so that we can determine if we can put a monitoring device on the tank (if we get one donated).

Does anyone have any questions?

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 20:36:51 »
Sounds good todd, I would have to agree on city water over well, most wells I have come across are 500+tds... I would check the hardness as that can ruin your first 3 stages if it's too high... I also have a $25 gift card for gerbers compliments of micki for the bethel build. I will give it to brian tomorrow.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 21:04:43 »
I also have a $25 gift card for gerbers compliments of micki for the bethel build. I will give it to brian tomorrow.

:D

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 21:39:58 »

Thanks for the post Cody, we were able to be more prepared as a result.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 22:19:59 »
make sure u check the iron level well has very high iron and a filter to remove it would cost 1000's
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 13:21:44 »
Well so far things are moving fairly slowly.  Please reply to me if you can supply anything at all.  The list of needs is in the thread and I am altering as I go.  I can come pick up stuff but if you can, dropping it off at my house would be best.  I am available all day this Sunday so I can come to you.  (I'll even bring a truck if you are purging)  :smiley-happy112:

I am donating my 46 bowfront with CAFLO overflow, and as of right now my old dual 96 watt Power Compact light (36 inch).  I am not taking the light off the list as I am hoping someone will donate a better one that the PC one I have.

What we have donated, (I don't think we will take the journals from Premium Aquatics, as the class has plenty of reading to do).

The most pressing need is to get the tank set, some salt (I have the RO/DI) put in some live sand and rock, and get some pumps and a heater in it.  We need a sump that is at the most 17" x 24" if someone has one to spare.

Coral Ranch
Todd I will take a look around and see what we have.

Darin at Aquatic Refuge
I have a 55g tank you can borrow, other than that I’ll have to look and see what I have that you need. I also have a Skimmer I don't use that can go with it.

Jason at premiumaquatics
Hi Todd,
I have an idea that might help with the class/students. We have an overstock of Calfo C-Journals, various issues, but depending on the class size, we can probably donate at least one issue of the C-journal to every student, maybe even more than one issue. Might help keep them interested in Reef Keeping, his journals usually have a lot of information about other countries that he visits etc.
Thank You,
Jason Frey
Premium Aquatics, Inc
6050 East Hanna Ave #4
Indianapolis, IN 46203
317-895-9005
317-895-9395 fax
sales@premiumaquatics.com
http://www.premiumaquatics.com

John at Gerber's
$100 gift certificate, he stated that we can us it for sand and inverts.  I plan on donating the cert that I just won and the one donated by Micki to bring it up to $150.  He also requested that I put up a flyer with his store information.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 13:45:43 »
I think the journals would be good imo... even if the students dont read them, most schools/class rooms have some sort of library that they can be donated to for general education...

Also I think we should maybe have a placard made up and mounted to the center of the tank at the bottom; of all the participating sponsor/donors? I would normally say put it on the stand, buuuuttt there is no stand lol...

I have a $25 coral ranch GC you are welcome too.

Any ideas on a return pump? I can't promise it, but I may have a blueline HD40 external that can be donated, I just have to check with the owner as it's in my possesion but is not mine.

If I remember, your 46 has a larger than normal overflow, to cut down on space taken in the fuge we could probably throw the heater in there, And I would suggest maybe doing a closed loop over power heads?

Also just thinking aloud here(feel free to comment)

I don't think it would be a bad Idea to comprise a small 3 ring binder of MSDS sheets for all the chemicals,salt etc that we leave at the school and have it in an easy place to obtain...(this may even be required?) if somoene wanted to tackle that.

and would one of the cabinets be lockable? we would want to do our best to limit any chemical or component exposure, not only for the students but for the tank aswell, we dont want some little one thinking it is a good idea to start pouring salt right into the tank, or dumping a whole bottole of buffer up etc.

Would it be much better to purchase dry sand, and a small batch of live save a little money for other items? maybe a mix of live rocks and dry rocks, and slowly introduce the dry rocks as the tank cycles?

perhaps add a web cam to the list and we can do a live viewing of the tank on a website, I could easily provided the PC to run the webcam. that way our sponsors would be better known, and anyone could see the tank at any time?

Have we looked into any fund raisers?(i know some schools limit the amount they support as they dont want to over tax the community) but it may be a good idea... I have some extensive experience through scouts with sub sales from Gordon Food Services... We could do a joint sub sale with the class body to raise funds towards the tank? one good sell should provide us with plenty of funds to finish the build and maybe even put us in a good standing to buy supplies to keep it running month to month.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 14:36:02 by Boonjob »