2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Tank_Build  (Read 7901 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Tank_Build
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 21:28:28 »
How did things go tonight?

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Re: Tank_Build
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 21:45:27 »
How did things go tonight?

I think they went great, todd was working like a mad man, I helped mike plug up some new frags... and hatcher just kinda stood around. 

Rodi looked good, was getting lower reading as the night went on from where it sat for so long needed to bleed out the system

And the new frags looked great
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 21:48:32 »
Yea tank looks good, need to get an ato up and running soon. I am going to make a 2nd ground probe for the sump to add to the other one for the main tank.

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 03:01:54 »
just stood around i see how it is cody but its kinda of hard to get in there and help with u and mikes belly and besides all the hard back breaking work was done before you showed up so HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 06:42:15 »
Brian, I straightened the boys out when I got there.  Once things were settled down I headed on my way.  If I wouldn't have shown up things would have gotten pretty bad... I will say Todd was the only one I saw working   :hmmmm:, well hatch was holding a hose I think  :th_boredsmiley: .  The set up was awesome and frags looked great!  One of the crabs was already cleaning some algae off of a frag plug (no I'm not referring to any of the boys, this was a real live crab in the tank ;) ). 

Things looked awesome!  Good job Todd!

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2011, 07:09:14 »
You guys didn't really expect me to work when i got there did ya? lol

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2011, 07:27:57 »
After everyone left Leslie showed up and I went back in with her to tell her what we did.  Sadly one of the Bandais was swimming loop d' loops and twitching while being blown all over the tank  :-\

I went in this morning to put the light back on, the epoxy did the trick, and the Bandai was MIA.  Leslie was sad as they are her favorites so far.  The zoas were already open and the SPS polyps were starting to extend.

This segues into another point, we need some more fishies....

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 15:07:39 »
In my defense i will have you know that not only was i holding the hose i was making sure the sink didnt over flow and i helped get the snail out of the hose so HA

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 15:25:36 »
Not to cast stone here... but you only attempted to get the snail out of the hose... mike freed the snail...  If you wouldn't have sucked him up in the first place it wouldn't have been an issue ;) lol

But you did hold up that hose like a champ, something to be proud of, haha

I'm just kidding anyways, Hatcher did more than I did...
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 17:11:18 »
But you did hold up that hose like a champ, something to be proud of, haha

:D 

You guys didn't really expect me to work when i got there did ya? lol

:hmmmm:

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 02:02:05 »
Wo Wo Wo let me say that if Todd would have been looking at the tank instead of talking the poor snail wouldnt have gotten sucked up in the tube lol and i tried to rescue him haha and i am proud of holding the tube it is a very presteiges job.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2011, 07:18:28 »
Well my attention was distracted by all you boys playing grab ass... Someone had to be the adult  :th_taptaptap_sml:

I'm glad that we had everyone show up.  Not only is the help great, but good conversation too.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 09:00:27 »
Anyone have a decent 36 inch light?

The fix that we did on the existing light did not work.  Fortunately yesterday I picked up a 24 inch from Adam that I was going to use for the fuge.  It has arms that will strech to 36" so I put it on the tank this morning.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 13:54:02 »
Anyone have a decent 36 inch light?

The fix that we did on the existing light did not work.  Fortunately yesterday I picked up a 24 inch from Adam that I was going to use for the fuge.  It has arms that will strech to 36" so I put it on the tank this morning.

I will check my storage today and see if I have anything you can use Todd

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2011, 11:52:30 »
Next visit at the school will be December 7th Weds at 5:30.  We will be installing an ATO, doing a water change, and replacing the heater.

BTW I checked parameters today with my Salifert kits.

Phosphates - 0
Nitrates - 0
PH - 8.1

If you are planning on attending, let me know.

Todd

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2011, 15:55:31 »
Just a reminder.... We will be at the school starting at 17:30

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2011, 22:04:03 »
Tank parameters

PH 8.2
Calcium 470
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
KH - 8

We installed a new heater, grounding probe, and ATO.  Put in 3 new corals, Oreo Zoa, LA Lakers Zoa, and Purple Death Zoa.

Had to remove 1/2 of the Chaeto as it was as big as a basketball and as firm as a couch cushion.  Donated the Chaeto to Pencilfish for new their new tank.

Mrs Mosley got out the microscope and 3 of her students were in the room and we looked at what may have been a realllllllly small bristle worm (highlight of the evening, too bad we couldn't get pics) and some kind of copopod.

Next time someone please remind me to make a tank coral key/map  :P

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2011, 22:20:39 »
Excellent! I love hearing about someone putting things under the scope.

There are really cheap USB lipstick cameras that fit in place of a standard eyepiece.

$80 - http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Still-Photo-Microscope-Camera/dp/B004WAK24I

Park a laptop next to the scope and you can capture all kinds of cool images.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2011, 23:28:39 »
It was pretty cool seeing that bristle worm under the scope tonight. I want to buy one now. What was the power of that one in the classroom? Pricey?

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2011, 06:06:15 »
It was pretty cool seeing that bristle worm under the scope. I want to buy one now. What was the power of that one in the classroom? Pricey?
+1 ??

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2011, 07:56:22 »
It was pretty cool seeing that bristle worm under the scope tonight. I want to buy one now. What was the power of that one in the classroom? Pricey?

That was a really cheap low end scope from the '70s.  I would imagine just about anything but a 'toy' scope would work just as well.  I would look for one with a light instead of a mirror.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2011, 07:57:35 »
Also I stopped by the school this morning to check to see if everything was working well.  The overflow returned to normal and the water level in the sump is exactly where it needs to be, at the top of the divider holes.

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2011, 13:37:26 »
hey Todd sorry i didnt make it i forgot to tell you me and the wife are in a dart league and we play wednesday nights was getting ready to leave after she got home from work and she informed me i had darts sorry man really wanted to make it there.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2011, 13:49:40 »
That was a really cheap low end scope from the '70s.  I would imagine just about anything but a 'toy' scope would work just as well.  I would look for one with a light instead of a mirror.

There are some nice dissection scopes with camera for around $200.

http://www.amazon.com/20x-40x-Stereo-Microscope-Digital-Camera/dp/B005APJQ3M

They're great for looking at things in your sand.

There are also more traditional 40x-800x scopes for looking at smaller things in that same price range-

http://www.amazon.com/40X-800X-Compound-Microscope-Digital-Camera/dp/B005NITAGE

Offline sendthis

• Fry
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2012, 20:46:16 »
This is really cool.. I didn't even know you guys did this, I guess it would help to look around :P

I gave away stuff that might have been useful during the time you guys did this, but wasn't a member here at that time I don't think (or at least didn't check here much) :(

Anyway, I might be interested in providing some manual labor (as my technical expertise is limited for reef tanks) on your next build and I'll make sure to keep a lookout for stuff that might be useful for future tank builds.