2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Curing dead rock  (Read 1684 times)

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
Curing dead rock
« on: December 23, 2017, 19:26:25 »
I just got 50 lbs of dead Tonga plate for my new build.

It’s currently in a brute with a power head. I just did a water change today after 2 days. Yuck!

I’m using RO only.

My question is, is that ok to do it this way to let stuff decay, or do I need to use RODI? 

Does it need to be salt water?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Curing dead rock
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 19:33:14 »
Congrats on the new build Mike. This is just my humble opinion, but I soaked my rock in 40% bleach for a week. Let it dry out. Transferred it to saltwater with a power head for about 5 days. Then did a 100% saltwater change for another 5 days and I had no issues when I put it in my DT.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 20:09:05 »
Congrats on the new build Mike. This is just my humble opinion, but I soaked my rock in 40% bleach for a week. Let it dry out. Transferred it to saltwater with a power head for about 5 days. Then did a 100% saltwater change for another 5 days and I had no issues when I put it in my DT.
Thanks, I apologize for not remembering your name but I know I met you and I know your face. Please refresh my memory.

Thanks for the advice. I may just follow that route!

It costs HOW much?!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 20:25:23 »
Jesse and Melanie : )

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 21:46:48 »
Jesse and Melanie : )
Thanks Jesse! If you and Melanie ever decide to head dow here to Hilton Head, be sure to let Tracy and I know!

It costs HOW much?!

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 23:56:36 »
I have used bleach and RODI no salt. I’m not sure you need 40% bleach...  may be able to get by with 10%.  40% would definite work though!

1 week is probably sufficient but 2 weeks would be better.  Use a declorinator like prime after.  One advantage of fresh water is you can use freshwater chlorine strips to test for bleach after you add the dechlorinator and rinse (BRS or Amazon for strips).  I would add dechlorinator after 2 weeks, rinse in fresh water with dechlorinator for a couple of days, then replace with saltwater with dechlorinator for final rinse and to start the cycle if you want.  Test for chlorine during each phase.  BRS has a good bleaching video compared to muartic acid.

Prime is cheap and seems to work well.

Dr. Tim’s one and only works good as a starter bacterial colony if you have fish or ammonia to fuel it.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 07:15:48 »
I have used bleach and RODI no salt. I’m not sure you need 40% bleach...  may be able to get by with 10%.  40% would definite work though!

1 week is probably sufficient but 2 weeks would be better.  Use a declorinator like prime after.  One advantage of fresh water is you can use freshwater chlorine strips to test for bleach after you add the dechlorinator and rinse (BRS or Amazon for strips).  I would add dechlorinator after 2 weeks, rinse in fresh water with dechlorinator for a couple of days, then replace with saltwater with dechlorinator for final rinse and to start the cycle if you want.  Test for chlorine during each phase.  BRS has a good bleaching video compared to muartic acid.

Prime is cheap and seems to work well.

Dr. Tim’s one and only works good as a starter bacterial colony if you have fish or ammonia to fuel it.
Thanks Humphrey! 

It costs HOW much?!

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 17:09:15 »
Soaking in RO water with bleach now. Thanks guys.

It costs HOW much?!

Offline Daytonsalt83

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 20:51:49 »
Could of used muriatic acid. I’ve done it twice and takes off everything on the rock