2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Supplemental T5 bulbs to ocean revives  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Supplemental T5 bulbs to ocean revives
« on: March 15, 2018, 21:29:41 »
The ocean revive LEDs have been treating me well except for the typical LED shadowing and I also like to run all blues at the start and end of the day. The problem with that is when they are all blue, it’s not great for viewing the fish. Solution, adding 2 T5 sunblaster fixtures that run ~$45 each and swapping in ATI coral plus bulbs.
I’m very happy with the results and thought I would share in case other people had the same dilemmas.
Attached is a photo of how it looks with the 2 T5s and LEDs on blues only (60%)

I did a 48” in the front and a 36” in the back so I wasn’t lighting my corner overflows.

120 gallon mixed reef.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Supplemental T5 bulbs to ocean revives
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 22:19:45 »
I fully agree, I also have t-5 bulbs to supplement my leds.  I have two 80 watt t-5 bulbs that I run about 4 hours a day that really does help with shadowing a lot.  Its surprising how much of a difference they make.
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 01:40:42 »
Very nicely done, great upgrade to the lighting system.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 09:32:08 »
You dont want to see pictures of mine.  It is all diy and works great but is ugly and needs a hood to hide it all.   :alas:
Jeff

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 15:52:50 »
Having my reef tank in the living room is a blessing and a curse. It forces me to keep all the wires hidden and everything clean. What brand bulbs/LED combo are you using Jeff?

120 gallon mixed reef.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 18:23:50 »
You dont want to see pictures of mine.  It is all diy and works great but is ugly and needs a hood to hide it all.   :alas:
Jeff
Jeff, you should show them off. The DIY guys will appreciate it. Besides, you keep it all covered up with that nice hood : )

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 22:27:46 »
Jeff, you should show them off. The DIY guys will appreciate it. Besides, you keep it all covered up with that nice hood : )
  I have to keep them inside my hood since they are a wiring mess.  I'll start a new thread with some older pics that I have without the t-5's installed.
Jeff