2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Help! Coral death out of no where  (Read 2118 times)

Offline jmiller1611

• Josh
  • Frag Committee
  • Fry
Help! Coral death out of no where
« on: April 17, 2018, 21:23:50 »
My healthy frogspawn has completely died in less than a week. Other frogspawn in the tank are fine, other corals are fine... that particular coral is not looking good. My lobo just started looking bad in the last couple days... any ideas why??

I’ve done 2 30 gal water changes in the last week. Alk, calc, and salinity we within range...

Offline Humphrey

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Help! Coral death out of no where
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 22:22:33 »
Phosphates?

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 22:56:19 »
And nitrates. I lost mine when the nitrates went way up. Perhaps that’s not the reason but since getting them under control everything is doing much better. Lost a couple nice lobos and some sticks and my frogspawn. Hope you can get it figured out.
Jim

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 23:05:13 »
Along with the phosphates I would have your water tested from someone else's test kit to confirm your test kits.
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 23:33:34 »
That is what many call brown jelly disease on the lobo in 2nd pic. It is a nasty bacteria. Can kill a coral overnight. Turn off your flow before pulling it out of tank. You may want to wear gloves or wash hands afterwords.

Offline jmiller1611

• Josh
  • Frag Committee
  • Fry
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 10:49:08 »
i put the lobo and the other portion of that frogspawn into quarantine. i looked up brown jelly and that is what it appears to be... i dont know how that got into my system. hopefully the lobo doesnt die, its my favorite coral

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 12:02:31 »
I think brown jelly bacteria is in all of our systems. A weak coral is susceptible to the attack. For example when I get new coral from wholesaler it isn't uncommon to loose some to brown jelly in the first few days of me having them. The shipping stress makes them unhealthy and the brown jelly bacteria attacks them. It is most common in LPS but I have had SPS and softies do it as well. It may be a parameter in your system that is out of range and it is affecting the general health of some coral which in turn making it's immune system susceptible to this bacteria.  I typically try fragging off any heads that are having brown jelly. Sometimes it works but more often then not in a few days it hits the other heads of that coral. I agree with others, check and recheck your parameters.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 17:35:20 »
Sorry to hear Josh, that Lobo is a beauty. If it is still hanging in there possibly try a mild iodine dip. Maybe some of the other reefers could chime in on that.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 21:47:57 »

Josh, great to see you reach out to the club for advice - sorry to hear the "bacteria issue" but you asking for help has helped me as well. I guess Lazy said it best - this bacteria can exist in a lot of our tanks but only comes to surface if our LPS get stressed or weak, this was my scenario I was telling you about. I had stress in my tank each time this happened to me as well and I would watch as this brown goo gobbled up another head on my Torch coral. Keep us posted!!!

Offline jmiller1611

• Josh
  • Frag Committee
  • Fry
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 12:27:20 »
frogspawn is completely dead. the lobo and my elegance both have not fully opened in about a week, but are looking better than they did when the frogspawn was in there still. hopefully they have stabilized

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 13:40:30 »
Any updates Josh? Hope your lobo made it.

Offline jmiller1611

• Josh
  • Frag Committee
  • Fry
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 10:44:21 »
sorry been off for a while, my wife had our son last month and havent taken as much time with it as i do normally. Lobo has recovered in quarantine. going to be back in main display soon!

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 13:33:58 »
That is great news Josh! Congrats to you and your wife.