2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Snowflake eel jumped  (Read 1232 times)

Offline frogfish

• Juvenile
Snowflake eel jumped
« on: May 28, 2018, 15:43:50 »
So I had a 12" snowflake eel that I think jumped.  He was in a bare bottom tank with a couple of pieces of PVC.  I was cleaning a bunch of tanks including his that are in a clownfish grow out system.  I wiped the inside of the glass and he was not happy, he was out swimming everywhere .  I went to the next tank and looked back and he was gone. 

I searched everywhere on the floor.  But these thaks are in the basement close to some utilities so lots of stuff around.  I couldn't see a body on the floor anywhere.

I pulled all the rock out of the sump to see if he fell in there, and nothing.  I even looked in all the piping in case he went down the overflow, which the cover was off while I was cleaning.  Checked the filter sock.

The only thing I can think of is he is still hiding in the rocks of the sump if he did jump and fell in there.  Or he landed on the floor and crawled to an open floor drain about 5 feet from his tank.

Offline Gary

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Snowflake eel jumped
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 10:36:35 »
I have had them jump out at feeding time. They are difficult to pick up off the floor. Hopefully he is just hiding inside the tank somewhere.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 12:09:07 »
Slippery little bastards
At my old house i had a snowflake eel.  The tank was right next to my front door. One day I was cleaning the tank, siphoning water out to the driveway. A wild cat was sitting on the porch watching the whole time interested in the fish. The Snowflake eel got startled and jumped out and the cat immediately darted in the house grabbed it and took off. I went yelling and chasing after it. It dropped it after about 50 feet or so. I grabbed it and ran it back in the tank.

Offline frogfish

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 15:50:30 »
Lmao...  did he survive the cat attack?

I still haven't found him, alive or dead!  I cleaned up the dish room so am neatly 100% he isn't on the floor anywhere.  Moved a mini fridge, looked under the furnace, in my water storage barrels.

He's hiding in the rocks that I nearly completely removed or down a floor drain 5' away and around a water heater