2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: best test kits  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
best test kits
« on: February 01, 2009, 11:42:07 »
I am not much of a tester on my tank.  I do water changes, skim, use ro/di water and do not over feed.

I dont want to be a slacker anymore.

what is the best test kits out there.. and is there a test kit that has everything with it so i do not have to buy several kits and find room for them

MechanicalEngineer

Re: best test kits
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 11:46:28 »
I like the Salifert test kits.  Recently it seems that Red Sea has actually gotten better with their kits...I'm hearing good things about them as well (less expensive than Salifert as well.)  Lamotte and Elos are very very good...but they're terribly expensive.

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 15:54:36 »
I like Salifert as well. I used a Red Sea magnesium kit a few months back, and it worked fine. I bought a Salifert kit to test it against when it was getting low, and the results were almost identical. 

I'm sure they do make kits that have everything in them to test for, but I have no experience with that type. I would stay away from the test strips that you dip in the water. Those are pretty inaccurate.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 16:12:58 »
I agree with Reef'd Up, but i don't use Saifert, i like and use Red Sea, simply because they are cheaper than the Sailfert. If i had the money i would definitely buy Sailfert test kits.

Offline verper

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 16:33:35 »
I use Salifert also.  I have an Elos Mag test kit and am not impressed with it at all.  Only gives you a reading in 100ppm per drop.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 16:45:31 »
I have heard toss ups between elos and saifert.

what should you test for?

is there any combo packs or "giant" test kits that are set up like a small chemistry lab?  LOL

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 16:50:52 »
I test for Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, pH, salinity, and temp often...I try for at least weekly if not more.  I have test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphates that I don't use too often unless things aren't looking quite right. 

Red Sea does make some combo packs, but even their reef kit is missing calcium I think.  You'd probably be better off buying individually.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 16:54:50 »
Here ya go kennv

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 19:52:46 »
I use Salifert also.  I have an Elos Mag test kit and am not impressed with it at all.  Only gives you a reading in 100ppm per drop.

My Elos is 50 per drop.    I'm not sure which kit to believe...  At one point in time Salifert was testing about 1250, the Elos tested at 1600.

The Elos kit has two tests, it must be correcting for something in the water.  Last check, my Elos measured 33-7 or 26 drops = 1300 pph

Offline Kenn

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 20:00:53 »
Thanks Harley  :)
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 20:25:41 »
No Problem, glad i could help :drink

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 20:28:22 »
I use API. The test kit, is only as good as the person testing it. I never have any issues, always consistent results. The key to ANY kit, make sure you shake the living hell out of the bottles, and tube. Its simple.

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 20:32:23 »
For the price I am very impressed with the API test kits. These perform just as well as the more expensive salifert and elos test kits.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 20:48:37 »
For the price I am very impressed with the API test kits. These perform just as well as the more expensive salifert and elos test kits.

But ONLY if you do it the right way. Seriously, someone at one of the meetings needs to show the proper way to test.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 10:16:07 »
Gotta love this forum!! if you give your opinion and someone doesnt like it, it just kinda dissapears into space, guess i just gotta figure out which click to get in with!!!

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 12:32:03 »
Sure makes it confusing for newbe's like me, Harley. I wonder how long; quantity wise, it really takes to develop a viable opinion; And if thats not the reason for so many different opinions.  ;)
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 15:30:02 »
Sure makes it confusing for newbe's like me, Harley. I wonder how long; quantity wise, it really takes to develop a viable opinion; And if thats not the reason for so many different opinions.  ;)

You should take what most people tell you with a grain of salt.

I research, read, and listen. Then use my best judgement on what will work with MY setup, as with opinions, everyones vary.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 17:17:41 »
You should take what most people tell you with a grain of salt.

I research, read, and listen. Then use my best judgement on what will work with MY setup, as with opinions, everyones vary.

:drink  Well said  :drink
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 22:37:59 »
All the test kits I have used seem to be pretty comparable to each other. There are some things that I like a little more then others such as how good the instructions are or how well the color change can be seen or if they come with reference fluid. But for the most part they all work for me. The only time I stay away from a kit is if there is a Pro kit vs standard kit. For example Red Sea has a standard Calcium test kit and a pro version. They are identical chemicals and price but one comes with a plastic syringe so you get smaller drops which allows your measurements to be in a tighter range.

Tip: Buy a new kit before you run out, that way you can test with both to be sure the readings are the same. I also agree that it is important to follow the instructions closely. Ask the LFS if you can read the instructions before you purchase to see if they are easy to follow. If not don't buy it. I have seen a few that are pretty bad. Once you have decided to buy ask them to test their water with it. They know their kits very well and can show you do's and dont's.

This is what I am using currently:
  • Calcium - Red Sea Pro (My favorite Calcium test kit. I like the color change from pink to Royal Blue)
  • Alkalinity - Lamotte and Salifert (Use reference fluid to check new kits do to it being so critical to reef tank)
  • Mag - Salifert

The kits above are what I like based on what I have used however I have certainly not used all of them. There are lots out there that may be just as good or even better. Here are some not mentioned yet.

Tetra
SeaChem
Tunze
Aquarium Systems
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals
Tropic Marin
Hagen
D-D ROWA

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 10:05:10 »
Salifert & Lamott are the ones I have had the best results with, the cheaper test kits are not the same quality or accuracy as these two brands. A very close runner up is Tropic Marin's test kits. I'm sure there are others that are good as well but these are the one's I have had first hand experience with.

Red Sea & Aquarium System's "instant Ocean" test kits are good test kits for the basics (ph, ammonia, trite & trates) and are a little cheaper.

Hagen, tetra & aquarium pharm's test kits were not impressive to me. They are not serious - professional grade kits & had regular inconstancy when I tried them in the past. I do not suggest their use, for the similar money the red sea & I/O kits are better.

Don, you don't need to be in a click to get good advise, look at the advise offered by the persons who have been in the hobby for a long time & are very accomplished, successful aquarists. Largely their opinions are very similar to one another and for a reason - experience.  - and not just in test kits but over all this is true.

Persons who rant and rave about how great something is isn't necessarily wrong but what are they comparing it to? If a person has only been in the hobby a year (or worse -even less) or has only owned one or maybe two brands of test kits - how well can they gauge how good something is (or isn't) 

Something to consider when taking advise.......Joel

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 16:25:10 »
Thanks Lazy,
These are good points to pay attention to. I know that it has 2-b part of a process of understanding.

The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!