2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: how to remove impeller  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Viggen

how to remove impeller
« on: April 17, 2007, 15:21:40 »
I was looking at my ER skimmer attempting to redirect the returns on the 2 pumps & I noticed 1 of the pumps was not working close to what the other one is so I removed the pump & attempted to remove the impeller & the dam thing will not come out. 

Any thoughts on how to remove the impeller?

300g tub o fish

slandis3

Re: how to remove impeller
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 16:26:26 »
Try soaking it in vinegar for a while. that may help if it has alot of calcium on it.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 19:13:06 »
You need to carefully remove the impeller and magnet assembly using pliers. Pull assembly straight out from the pump cavity so as not to break ceramic shaft using needle nose pliers.

If you would like to see pictures on how to do this, go to the euro-reef website, which provides step by step instructions (and other useful info on how to maintain your skimmer, etc).

http://www.euro-reef.com/Pump_Service_Photo_rama/index.htm

Offline verper

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 19:18:08 »
Ah heck, it's broken.  Might as well just give the whole thing to me and treat yourself to a new one.  ;)

Good info Tim.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 19:32:07 »
It's yours Scott!  Great idea :) 

Seriously though, I will check out their site.  Usually the impellers just pop right out but this dam thing is crammed in there.  Not sure if calcium would be my problem because it's a FO tank.  Should I still soak it?  Do I just go get any normal vinegar?   Dam, going to stink up the house :)

Earlier today I removed the shaft that goes inside the impeller & unfortunately I cannot get the dam thing all the way back in.
300g tub o fish

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 20:55:47 »
have to be aligned perfect to fit into the seals to get it back in.  often higher end pumps impellers are harder to remove because they are made to fit much better than cheapo pumps

slandis3

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 21:32:55 »
I used plane vinegar. once my pump came unstuck, i ran it in the vinegar fopr a while then ran it in ro/di water.

Offline verper

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 05:50:43 »
White vinegar works well.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 09:26:53 »
White vinegar works well.

I use white distilled vinegar as well to remove excess calcium deposits on pumps and other  equipment but it doesn't sound like calcium is the source of Viggen's problem (IE, he is not adding calcium supplements to his fish only aquarium). Once the impeller/magnet assembly is stuck, the only way to remove it is with needle nose pliers. 

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 16:15:05 »
I can not get my Seio impellors out by hand, the magnet is too strong. I just use a pair of pliers to pull them out.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 21:20:14 »
I just removed it with pliers, I was worried to do so because I didn't want to damage the impeller.  It came out very easily, it's just being a PITA to get running.   Now I turn the pump on & I have to bang on the dam thing to get it to work.  Plus the magnet has some gouges in it, not sure if that is causing the problems. 

I am debating on finding a replacement non ER impeller & making a meshwheel for the pumps, suppose to perform better that way anyways :)
300g tub o fish

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 21:37:28 »
If the magnent has dings in it it sounds like it is hitting something. Maybe there is too much free play.