2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Help, can't get rid of this.  (Read 1117 times)

Offline HomeReef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Help, can't get rid of this.
« on: November 22, 2019, 16:46:09 »
I really enjoy seeing beautiful pictures of everyone's tanks but how do I deal with so I can enjoy a nice looking tank of my own?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
Re: Help, can't get rid of this.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 18:06:55 »
Same as warhawks thread. Those are dinoflagellates. They are a serious pain to deal with.

Are you bottomed out on nitrate and phosphate? That’s usually what causes the initial out break. Or putting too many new surfaces in the tank at once.

Offline HomeReef

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 18:12:35 »
Almost nothing on nitrates, not sure about phosphate, have not tested that.  Yes a lot of new things in my tank because my previous tank broke and I had to get everything into a new tank.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 18:25:13 »
I would suggest getting a Hanna phosphate checker. You need to monitor phosphate (PO4) and nitrate (NO3). It’s difficult to get rid of Dino’s once they take over. There’s a hydrogen peroxide method that works on some but the only thing that’s worked good for me is a UV sterilizer.

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 00:09:14 »
Agree with the uv. I found success increasing nutrients and adding bacteria in conjunction

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 07:47:38 »
I would do nothing at first. It might just be that things need to catch up. I have dinos myself right now they were all over my rocks for about a week. I haven't changed anything nor done any water changes and they are going away. I find that if you have good flow and lower light times then just let them ride out it is quicker than trying to change things. Also I don't have any corals so I don't have any risk of losing anything if you have corals I would get a turkey baster and blow them off several times a day to make sure that the dinos are not sticking to them. In the past I fought the fight and did black out, peroxide, uv, everything in the book and it didn't work.