2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Perfect Storm Tank Build  (Read 14129 times)

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Perfect Storm Tank Build
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2016, 18:46:28 »
Received new calcium today, will  start dosing tonight. Time will tell.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2016, 19:37:41 »
Steve,
Do you have any photos you could post of the corals that have STN? What temperature and specific gravity do you aim for? The large water change seem to abate the issue in the your tank for some period of time. How frequently should the large water changes be preformed to keep the inhabitants happy and should it be accompanied by other smaller changes periodically?  I'm going to do about a 90% water change tonight. I have to keep the fish wet!
Thanks,
Gary

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2016, 19:53:08 »
I do not, but will try and get some this weekend. The corals also lose color and polyp extension. I purposely didn't do any smaller changes to see if me switching Mag had any effect. Ideally would like to get back to just small regular water changes, the 100 gal+ water changes are taking a chunk out of my wallet and the stn+ is really putting a hamper on my frag sales.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2016, 20:17:49 »
My trumpets are slowly receding and the Duncans have not opened for months. I'm not sure the smaller water changes are sufficient to eliminate the toxins from the coral warfare. The filtration, carbon or otherwise, may not break it down or remove it. I am contemplating doing periodic large water changes as a test. So, far the larger changes have had a positive effect on the tank inhabitants. It is obvious to me that the water quality in my tank needs to improve. Please keep us posted on your progress. I watched the Prefect Storm movie last week, kinda depressing, but I do see some strong similarities in reefing!
Thanks,
Gary

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2016, 01:25:45 »
The storm continues. Less than four month old pump on my skimmer, dead in the water. This is the 2nd pump on this skimmer since I bought it, not pleased.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2016, 22:56:13 »
My AC went out today, if it doesn't get fixed soon could be problems.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2016, 00:13:15 »
Steve,
If needed, I have a mini frig that can be used as a chiller and a window air-conditioner to make it liveable for you and your wife. 94 on Saturday!
Gary

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2016, 21:03:05 »
Positive Update. Yea! AC is fixed, skimmer pump is replaced and 1 1/2 months after last large water change my SPS look better than they have in a long time. Colors are coming back and polyp extension is progressively getting better. I hate to admit and not all evidence is in, but it looks like the bulk calcium I was using must have had some kind of chemical or contaminant that was causing the issues. I switched to BRS calcium chloride, changed no other supplements and haven't done anymore water changes and my SPS are definitely getting better. I have used Driveway Heat for over 5 years and never had an issue, but it looks like it caught up with me. Will keep monitoring just to make sure that the problem is solved.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2016, 21:21:52 »
Awesome.. keep it simple my friend
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2016, 20:58:59 »
Well, 2 months since last post and right now everything seems good. Some of my SPS were so damaged that they are just know getting back to normal. My Red Planet which seemed stunted but has colored up nicely and is getting it's normal polyp extension back. Picked up a few SPS frags and most of them are doing great. I am so glad that I finally found the problem. Thank God, I was seriously frustrated with this hobby, but so enjoy it.

Offline soldiers4christ50

• Adult
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2016, 21:19:11 »
I am very glad it is going good for you Steve. I know how nice your tank was originally and I was depressed for you brother.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2016, 08:27:40 »
That is great to hear Steve

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2016, 10:18:17 »
Steve,
Well done! Persistence has paid off! Do you have some before and now pictures?
Gary

Offline Kenn

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2016, 19:58:04 »
 :-Thumb  Glad to hear your persistence has paid off Steve.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >