2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: DIY Tank Tech  (Read 2627 times)

Offline DonB_87

• Egg
DIY Tank Tech
« on: January 17, 2018, 18:57:00 »
Thought I’d show off a project I’ve been working on. The day job is building systems automation so I’ve accumulated some out of date controllers(destined for the garbage) in the past month to integrate the tank. So far I’ve worked out a diy pH probe, temperature, and auto top off. Temp, ph, and auto top off data are trended for a month. With the little bit of programming ive done it sends text alerts when temp or ph are out of range and will cut off my top off if the ph rises too high/fast or the pump runs too long. Yet to come is heater control and pump status. Only cost so far is the ph probe. Let me know what you guys think!

Offline guynamedfleck

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Re: DIY Tank Tech
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 20:30:54 »
Very nice work.  The difference between a hobbiest and a craftsman is the quality of the their work.  You certainly are the latter.

Just get your labels facing the same direction.  ;)

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 22:19:24 »
lol, I've often debated about grabbing some old AB plc's, but just can't bring myself to do it.

Although I do have a Schneider Zelio smart relay running my RO system.

Offline Nbehnken

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:52:02 »
I love it, nice work.

Offline DonB_87

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 19:27:45 »
Thanks Nbehnken!

guynamedfleck I sometimes have to remind the installers its ok to mount a controller upside down, the electrons wont spill out!  :laugh:

Wall_Tank cool to know there are some other automation guys out there playing with aquariums! :drink