2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: spare equipment  (Read 2781 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
spare equipment
« on: March 23, 2018, 21:57:15 »
How many of us keep extra/spare parts or equipment for your tank?   I had the power supply for my leds fail yesterday. I had to order a new one and will be till next week until I get it.  Shows how much we trust and rely on our equipment.  I am lucky that I have 2 t-5 bulbs that I use.  I'm guessing that I will see some coloration loss by the time I get my lights back on but cant imagine what would happen if I didnt have the t-5s.  what else should we have as spares?  With my system I am thinking I should have a spare power supply, apex controller, return pump, heater.  If you think about it all those items are almost a necessity in todays tanks.
Jeff

Offline jfishwild

• Adult
Re: spare equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 22:00:04 »
I have a 4’ t5 light with brand new bulbs that you can use until you get your lights back up and running.
We don't know how strong we are until being strong is the only choice we have.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 22:18:12 »
Marc Levenson did a talk about this at MACNA last year. He talked about the extra equipment he has. The thing I thought was crazy was that he had a backup Apex. He mentioned other things like expensive return pumps and I think he may have talked about backup lighting too...

I have a bunch of HOB filters and small tanks, that about as much backup as I have...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 22:23:36 »

jjoos99, I have a spare 6 bulb 24in ATI Sunpower t5 light that you can borrow if you need it while waiting on your power supply? Is some light better than no light? Not sure what your tank dimensions are?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 22:26:26 »
I appreciate the offer but it would be major surgery to remove my heat sinks to mount your lights.  What do you all think, will I loose any corals for low lighting over the next 3 or 4 days without my leds?
thanks
jeff

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 22:34:29 »
Marc Levenson did a talk about this at MACNA last year. He talked about the extra equipment he has. The thing I thought was crazy was that he had a backup Apex. He mentioned other things like expensive return pumps and I think he may have talked about backup lighting too...

I have a bunch of HOB filters and small tanks, that about as much backup as I have...

If you think about it when we are using an apex almost everything is controlled through it. I myself control my temp, ato, lights, calcium reactor, etc.  My tank would be in pretty big trouble if I lost it.
jeff

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 22:36:33 »
Not sure on colors as far as permanent damage but I have had lights go out and it really jacked up my ph?   That may be something to consider. My ph dropped like a rock and made my tank unstable for a month or so.

Lights heaters and power heads. Are my must for back ups.   

You can run out and by a Fluval marine and reef2.0 for like 145$. It’s a crappy fixture but outs out a supposed 450 par

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 23:30:33 »

What size tank do you have currently? Both of mine are 48in wide.

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 23:48:46 »
At the time it was a 55 I’m just finishing a cycle on a 75

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 08:25:59 »
I think you would be fine with low lighting for a few days, if yo think about it there are times during storms and such where reefs get very little light for days and they are fine.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 10:02:16 »
I think you would be fine with low lighting for a few days, if yo think about it there are times during storms and such where reefs get very little light for days and they are fine.

Yes you are right about that. I never even thought about it in that perspective. That's what is good about the club and forum, everyone is willing to help out with advise or even equipment!!
Thanks
Jeff

Offline merlin3

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 17:45:58 »
I have two smaller led power supplies if you need them i think. Also if i grab some fans from briam i have a couple ocean revive lights you could borrow.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 23:27:44 »
I have two smaller led power supplies if you need them i think. Also if i grab some fans from briam i have a couple ocean revive lights you could borrow.
If the one I bought doesnt show up early next week I might try the 2 smaller supplies depending on what they might be rated at.
thanks
Jeff

Offline merlin3

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 23:41:44 »
I can check, think they are cheaper ones from rapidled and non dimmable. Ill have to check.