2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Sump Baffle Install Question  (Read 2482 times)

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
Sump Baffle Install Question
« on: January 28, 2017, 23:20:06 »
Ok fellow reefers I'm looking for some guidance/reassurance in regards to my new diy sump... I'm redoing my tank and filtration due to a very bad algae outbreak that I let get too far out of hand. So since I'm starting over I decided to ditch the old CPR 3 chamber all in one type filter box for a diy aquarium sump. So I have a 65g tall DT and due to the stand size I'm using a 20g tall for the sump. Now I have an octopus external so for the sump I just wanted 2 chambers to cut down on the bubbles that could make it through and back into the return.

So this my 1st ever sump Baffle Install and as you can tell by my horrible silicone job.. so I let it sit a full day before I tested tonight. Well unfortunately after my great sealing job it had a very small leak... I poured 5 gallons into the "inlet" side and it appears about 1/2 way up I created a small hole when I was "smoothing" it out and water was going between the silicone and the glass and down and out at the bottom of the middle pane. My question is should I strip it all out and reseal it all or since I'm really after bubble reduction not worry about such a small leak? Please let me know your thoughts. Again the baffles are just there to cut down the bubbles from the overflow reaching the return.

TIA,
Mark
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
Re: Sump Baffle Install Question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 23:20:58 »
Not that it matters but water would flow from Right to Left.
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline ironman20725

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 06:29:16 »
If it was me I would just go over it. Heck I have one baffle without any silicone at all on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 09:20:53 »
I'm just worried about going over it again because I thought silicone won't stick to itself??
65 g AGA - Kettering