2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Salt  (Read 28201 times)

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
Re: salt choice survey
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2012, 21:49:38 »
I switched over to Seachem about 3 months ago and havent seen any negative affects from it. My growth in my tanks have gotten alot more noticable. I think I'll stick with Seachem, plus I get it for $35 a bucket, so that makes it a little easier! LOL

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2012, 21:49:55 »
Seachem.   I've been using for almost 2 years.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2012, 21:54:16 »
Rscp for 2the years
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Viggen

« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2012, 23:03:14 »
Been using whatever is cheaper since I have always been FO.  Kent or IO is what I usully use

I picked up 5 200gal boxes of IO for $37 ish if I recall..... cheaper then the 160 gal buckets
300g tub o fish

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2012, 23:20:51 »
IO unless I get a better deal on something else.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2012, 23:29:15 »
Mite be switching to brightwell
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2012, 01:11:25 »
Oceanic.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2012, 06:15:55 »
I recently read a tank of the month thread on reef central from mantis in columbus and he mixes oceanic and crystals. 
Jeff

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2012, 08:04:40 »
We used Instant Ocean for about a year and a half. It will grow corals and the fish won't dissolve in the stuff. However, I noticed a big difference switching to Brightwell. So much so that we decided to use Brightwell only when  filling the 550 system. I've heard great things about Red Sea Coral Pro and would consider it the only viable alternative. IMnotsoHO.

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2012, 08:33:58 »
Ive been using Kent and seem to have good luck with it.

Jeremy

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2012, 09:36:22 »
Been using aquavitro salinity since August. I was able to dial back my 2 part dosing.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2012, 10:14:34 »
running brightwell for around a year was running red sea im very happy with brightwell

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2012, 10:28:14 »
Salt is salt,right? :o

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2012, 10:32:42 »
Have you been to Aquavitro's website? I felt like i had to have a macchiato in hand and a hybrid sports car in the garage... lol. I'm sure they have great products, but I never thought saltwater could be so frou frou.

I should mention that I am planning on getting some of their calcium mix...it sounds goooood.

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2012, 10:37:43 »

Yes it is...But all the other elements are important as well. Also purity levels come into play. If you were to have a blood transfusion, would you prefer to have agricultural, food or pharmacy grade blood? You can make an IV bag for yourself with just sugar water and salt (if you've seen the movie shooter, that part is real).

I might have taken this analogy a bit far...

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2012, 13:52:22 »

Not all batches are the same, even from the same mfg.  I've had some that leave a nasty brown residue in the bucket after mixing, and some that leave the bucket squeaky clean.  It would be nice to see a little tighter quality control on this, but I'm not sure that will ever happen as it's most likely a mixing problem and this stuff is made in HUGE batches.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2012, 14:12:53 »
I see what you guys are saying. Just seems like if 1 thing was better than others why isn't everyone using the better? Just one of those things I'm just to young in the sw world to crasp yet I guess. Sorry didn't mean to high jack the post.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2012, 14:23:01 »
Nah, it's a perfectly valid question.

The function of a water change is two-fold- to remove some portion of the bad things that accumulate in your tank, and to replenish some of the good things that get used up.

If all you were worried about is the first (removing things), then any salt will do. This is often the case with folks who have a FO (Fish Only) or FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) tank.

If you have a reef tank with corals, both functions are important. Different salts will provide a balanced set of ingredients that help you maintain Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium.

Another consideration is that some salts are more consistent from batch to batch. If you're testing your make-up water and adjusting its parameters to closely match your tank, then having a consistent amount to add each time is a boon.

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2012, 14:43:28 »
+1 couldn't of said it any better myself.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Re: salt choice survey
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2012, 17:21:07 »
I see what you guys are saying. Just seems like if 1 thing was better than others why isn't everyone using the better? Just one of those things I'm just to young in the sw world to crasp yet I guess. Sorry didn't mean to high jack the post.

I dont feel there isnt a specific "better" grade salt... They all excel and lack in their respective areas... As Ashlar put it some salts are better for corals but the added costs for those benefits may not make it better for somone with a fo who may benefit more from a basic blend
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2012, 18:04:39 »
You think the manufactures would pick up on any short comings they might have, i/e low mag. and make the perfect blend.  seems as if everyone is happy with what salt they are currently using.
Jeff

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2012, 18:25:32 »
Exactly jjoos99. Thanks all for lil better understanding.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2012, 19:29:05 »
You think the manufactures would pick up on any short comings they might have, i/e low mag. and make the perfect blend.  seems as if everyone is happy with what salt they are currently using.
Jeff

I personally don't care if my salt is a bit low in Alk.   I do small water changes, and my reactor makes up the difference.   If I decide to do a large water change, then I put additives in the batch to closer match my tank parameters.

Offline Jon in SW Ohio

• Fry
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2012, 03:35:00 »
I started using ESV B-Ionic Seawater Mix a couple years ago and will never use anything else now.
For the reef I mix it with distilled water and tweak the Mag, A, & B up a bit and never have to do any dosing to keep stable parameters even in a small tank full of LPS. For the FOWLR I mix it per directions with aged tap water. I do all the measurements with a cheapo digital scale instead of the measuring cups so each batch is identical.

I've never had corals respond better to a water change or color up as much even when I was doing tedious daily dosing.

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2012, 09:48:10 »
I have been on Brightwell for about 2 years and have been very happy with it. I use Brightwell for all my dosing needs also.
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...