2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Educating youngsters in our community  (Read 3975 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Educating youngsters in our community
« on: July 28, 2011, 12:28:50 »
Wondering if there are members that would have interest in educating students about corals and marine animals. We could work with a junior or high school to sponsor a biology class living reef tank. We could obtain equipment and livestock donations from Ohio Reef members and business to provide the systems. Perhaps do some write ups on livestock they have such as care needs, interesting facts etc...
Thoughts?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: Educating youngsters in our community
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 12:30:27 »
Sounds cool! 

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 12:33:13 »
I think this is an amazing idea, especially if it really takes off in the school. I know MSBG highschool had a reef when I was there, Wasn't much but we had a RTBA and some LPS with a couple fishies, it was in the biology lab. I really think it was just the professors and he used it as a frag tank from his main system at home, either way was great... Though I was at the time way more interested in other things  :th_rolleye0012:

I would be down to help in any way I can aswell.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:49:04 by Boonjob »
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 13:04:05 »
Awesome idea Brian. I have wanted to do this for a few years with my local Centerville schools.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 13:12:47 »
dang brian, you read my mind today!!

Offline starfishprime

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 15:18:43 »
There is a teacher that I was working with donating frags to some tanks that he had in his class. I think he was with miamisburg city schools, and taught biology. Very good idea guys!

Offline Bright79

• I love tangs !!!!!
  • Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 17:07:37 »
this is am awesome idea...i would love to help but I dont know a whole lot like everyone else.
I am the tank crasher !!!

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 18:15:18 »
I would love to and have had some home school teachers approach me to do something similar with their kids.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 21:49:08 »
Sounds like a fantastic idea.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 22:24:39 »
Fantastic! looks to be lots of interest and excitement about this. Bright there will be something for everyone and no doubt a learning experience for all of us.

Here are a few things to get us started.

Seek members that would be willing to take a lead role to get things kicked off
Identify a school that would be a good partner. Perhaps someone here is a teacher or has a connection with school staff.
Once school/classroom has been identified begin planning the system based on space or other constraints.
Create list/Project Plan and tasks and seek volunteers (Ohio Reef Members) willing to participate.
Solicit members, sponsors and local business to help with initial expense and donation of used items to satisfy the system plan

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 09:36:16 »
I have thought about doing this at Bethel Schools where my kids go.  Especially now since they have gone to pay to play, cut numerous positions, made class sizes larger...etc...etc....  That and I live 3 miles from the school.

<venting> this is one of the higher income areas in the state and we can't get a levy to pass, keep adding trailers to the school grounds as the building (1900's era) slowly crumbles.... <sigh>

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 15:47:09 »
Just a FYI: we have a member that has graciously donated a 37g tank, sump, canopy and stand for this project if the system plan can use. Not sure if they wish to remain anonymous

Offline Bright79

• I love tangs !!!!!
  • Juvenile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 19:48:09 »
how do u plan on going to schools with the tank and stuff??  maybe im not understanding on what or how this will be done
I am the tank crasher !!!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 20:40:28 »
The tank would stay there for the entire school year. September through May. Does that answer your question?

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 21:54:10 »
Just a FYI: we have a member that has graciously donated a 37g tank, sump, canopy and stand for this project if the system plan can use. Not sure if they wish to remain anonymous
Thank you, whomever you are!

Offline Kenn

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 10:32:06 »

Thanks for the anonymity Brian but I dont mind if the club knows :)

Thank you, whomever you are!

Your welcome  :matrix-smiley-007:     I LOVE doing things that get the kids involved.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 10:37:59 »
That is really wonderful of you Kenn. :-ThumbUpsm What are the dimensions of the tank? Also, does it have a center brace? Trying to find a decent light for the setup.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:57:09 by Reefpete »