2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Acceptable pH swing?  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
Acceptable pH swing?
« on: December 13, 2011, 11:32:07 »
What is an acceptable swing in pH from day to night. Right now my neptune is showing it is about 8.10 at night, and 8.40 during the day. I have the sump light running opposite, but think I may need to alter the light schedule on the 2 frag tanks and macro display. So what kind of swing should I be looking at??
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
Re: Acceptable pH swing?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 12:03:09 »
anything more than a .2 and i get a little worried. When i had the Scrubber on, it never shifted more than .2, if at all. .3 may still be ok.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 12:53:54 »
0.3 is about the max that I'd be comfortable with, over a 12 hour period. It's not absolute swing that I watch out for, it's absolute swing over time.

I dose my 2 part at night, as well as having my fuge on a reverse photoperiod to keep the ph swings minimal.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 16:56:53 »
0.3 is about the max that I'd be comfortable with, over a 12 hour period. It's not absolute swing that I watch out for, it's absolute swing over time.

I dose my 2 part at night, as well as having my fuge on a reverse photoperiod to keep the ph swings minimal.

+1

Blazin.....this is especially true since you are running a Ca reactor.  Your systems is setup great to blow off as much residual CO2 as you can, but as your Ca/Alk load increases in your system, you will still suffer from lower PH.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 17:51:00 »
mine is about .3 .2
SIZE DOES MATTER