2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: calcium and alkalinity  (Read 1616 times)

Offline bbtm64

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
calcium and alkalinity
« on: April 20, 2013, 02:30:09 »
I've started testing my water for both since I picked up an API reef kit. According to the results I'm getting, the calcium is off the chart. I stopped yesterday @ 21 drops and it still hadn't changed to the right color. The alkalinity is around 10.
I know these are way to high. How can I get them under control? The only additives I've been using lately are Purple-Up and Element Essentials. Everything seems to be doing well, even with the high levels.

I'm also having a hard time getting my pH to the correct level. It stays right around 7.8-8.

I did a water change last Tuesday and it helped with the alkalinity.
Brent McCloskey

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: calcium and alkalinity
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 08:30:29 »
I've started testing my water for both since I picked up an API reef kit. According to the results I'm getting, the calcium is off the chart. I stopped yesterday @ 21 drops and it still hadn't changed to the right color. The alkalinity is around 10.
I know these are way to high. How can I get them under control? The only additives I've been using lately are Purple-Up and Element Essentials. Everything seems to be doing well, even with the high levels.

I'm also having a hard time getting my pH to the correct level. It stays right around 7.8-8.

I did a water change last Tuesday and it helped with the alkalinity.

Your alk being 10 is not horrible. I wouldn't mess with that. I like to see my ph at 8-8.5. And it does sometimes at night dip to 7.8. Noticed that also depends on the outside tempature. The only thing I would work on right now is your calcium. The others are close enough IMO.

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:49:34 »
 stop dosing the purple up. it is full of calcium.   

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 11:06:54 »
21 drops on an API test is not high. That is 420ppm which is totally acceptable. That is about where I keep my tank, sometimes a little higher. 10 is not high for ALK either, some might even say that is almost ideal. As far as your PH, do you keep your house shut up? This can cause the CO2 in your house to rise thus causing your PH to drop.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:12:27 by Steve »

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 18:49:48 »
I would stop the purple up. I would also be real frugal with the elements. Too much can start algae blooms.
Chromiumlux

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 19:32:44 »
The house has closed up all winter, except for warm days, lol. Now that its Spring, it'll be opened up a lot more. I love Ohio weather. :beee:

Brent McCloskey