2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Green Hair algae..  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Mussin

• Adult
Green Hair algae..
« on: December 20, 2016, 17:37:36 »
Just lately I have been getting green hair algae growing on my rocks..  almost looks like more of a turf algae.  Never had this problem before..  I have been feeding very lightly.  I checked my TDS in my rodi unit it says 0.  So far to combat this problem I bought 8 turbo snails and bought new RODI filters.  Put the snails in sunday changed out the filters yesterday, hopefully this has some impact on the issue.  Anything else I can try?

Jeremy

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Green Hair algae..
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 18:28:33 »
Why did you buy new ro filters if tds was 0? Or was it high and that is why you replaced them? Have you checked nitrates and phosphates? Can you share a picture of algae?

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 19:56:05 »
The filters were 2 yrs old, but they still checked 0. Figured they were due anyway.

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 20:04:38 »

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 20:05:52 »

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 20:56:37 »
Just tested for Nitrate and Phosphate using API test kits.  Nitrate read between 0 and 5.0  just a shade above 0.  Phosphate read 0. 

Getting ready to out of town for the holidays, looks like some water changes are in order.  I usually only do 25g a month.  But like I said I have never had this problem.

Jeremy

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 21:20:03 »
Looks like turf algae to me.  I would ck your phos with a hanna checker and possibly start some gfo.
Jeff

Offline Kenn

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 21:26:26 »
Looks like turf algae to me. 
Jeff

I agree. Also .. fire your tang :)

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 21:37:45 »
My tangs wont eat the hair algae but love turf!!
Jeff

Offline kellyj

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 07:53:19 »
I've had hair algae and turf algae (still have some) that I've been battling for months.  I tried Algaefix with little or no effect.  I am currently trying Vibrant that was mentioned on here (Lazylivin carries it) and has good reviews.  My turf algae was reddish/rust colored and stiffer than the hair algae.  Yours looks like hair algae to me.  I have also ran GFO and reduced feedings and light but still have it.  I'll keep everyone posted on how well the Vibrant works.  Good luck with your algae.
Kelly