2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: ich or something else????  (Read 3602 times)

Offline zachegg

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
ich or something else????
« on: April 20, 2017, 12:35:52 »
I had what I thought was ich on a Blue and Tomini tang. I removed all the fish from the display and put them all in a hospital tank. I treated the hospital tank for 2.5 weeks with Cupramine and everything cleared up and fish looked normal so I started doing water changes and used Cuprasorb and completely remove the Cupramine which took about a week to get back down to no detectable amount. After a couple of weeks or so in the hospital tank the blue tang has started showing white spots again although no other fish show any visible symptoms. So I treated the tank again and that was 2.5 weeks ago and the Blue tang shows no change and still has spots. It is still eating normally but does seem to be scratching on the PVC pipes I have laying in the bottom of the tank. I'm starting to think this may be an infection possibly? I was treating at .5-.6 mg/L which is what the directions recommend and I am using Seachem products. I am letting the display tank sit fallow for 72 day which I started on March 1st. I have attached current pictures of both Tangs. I also have a clown, basselet, and a cardinal that have never shown any signs of ich but have been in the hospital tank.

Offline Steve

• Adult
Re: ich or something else????
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 16:09:07 »
Doesn't look like ich to me. Looks more like a secondary bacterial infection, but I am no fish Dr.

Offline zachegg

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 19:10:05 »
Doesn't look like ich to me. Looks more like a secondary bacterial infection, but I am no fish Dr.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I did a large water change and started the culprasorb so copper should be out in a few days. I'm going to keep doing frequent water changed to keep water quality up. I update with any changes.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 09:24:29 »
It looks like flukes. Possibly lymp. Can you get a better picture?

Offline zachegg

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 13:47:31 »
It looks like flukes. Possibly lymp. Can you get a better picture?

I can't seem to get a better picture right now. This is a tank I have at my business and I only have my phone camera right now. I did a huge water change yesterday evening. This morning I came in and he is looking better. Yesterday the white spots were very bad and today they are almost gone. There are a few white spots on the very tip of the dorsal and tail fins and on his face but nothing like the last couple weeks. Should I wait it out and see if it gets better? I looked up flukes but what is lymp?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 18:32:33 »
Not likely flukes or Lymphocystis. It doesnt go away that quick. That is more a chacteratic of ich.

This is what Lymphocystis looks like

Offline zachegg

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 12:10:06 »
Here's an update on the tang. Much of the white splotches have cleared up and I think that was some type of infection. There are still some small white white spots on it's face and around the gills. I have treated for ich twice and I don't think that is the problem. I've done a little more research and I think Lazy is correct that it may be flukes. From what I have read is if it advances to the point the fish stops eating it's very likely they will die so I want to treat this while it's still behaving normally. I'm pretty sure it's a parasite as it appears to be attached to the the fishes skin. I don't want to treat for the wrong thing but I'm not an expert on fish diseases. I was thinking about a fresh water dip in a dark colored bowl to see if there is anything that comes off the fish. I'm at the point where I'm going to separate the other fish as they show no visual signs and keep the blue tang by itself after the dip. I'm doing frequent water changes and water quality is good. Any suggestions about treatment?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 19:53:27 »
Flukes is treated with formalin. You can add it directly to the hospital tanks water after removing copper. If it is flukes they should disappear a few days into treatment.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 20:30:06 »
Prazipro also a solution for flukes and it's pretty gentle.  Good for some other types of external parasites.

Advantage of formalin is it'll knock out brooklynilla and copper will not.  More common in clownfish but other fish can get it. Lots of slime coat the usual sign.

Might be worth some research.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 20:36:57 »
One more option for brook is CP (Chloroquine phosphate) which also treats velvet, Ich, and uronema.

Ichshield powder contains CP.

Formalin bath is probably quicker. 

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 20:39:26 »
Sorry, missed your prior post. Freshwater dip will help you diagnose if it's flukes yes, and it will provide some temp relief.  If there are no flukes in the bowl, it's probably not flukes.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 20:54:00 »
May go without saying, but temp of the dip bowl should be close, and it's best if the ph is also similar if you have any buffer.  RODI water is best, but dechlorinated at least.

2 to 4 minutes... watch the fish to make sure it isn't flailing. Blue tang may lay down which wouldn't be a problem I don't think. 

Offline zachegg

• Juvenile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 22:20:35 »
I wanted to give an update as to progress and treatment. Thank you Lazy and Humphrey with the help. I'm pretty sure it was flukes and I decided to treat with Prazipro because it was easier to get and easy and gentle to dose. It took two doses but they have been free of symptoms for about a week now. I'm going to give them a bit long in QT to make sure nothing else pops up but for now all is looking good. Someone is going to have to give me a lesson on how to take a decent picture of my fish  :alas:

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 22:42:28 »
That's great!  That was kind of a weird presentation of bumps for sure.