2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: chemiclean who has used it?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
chemiclean who has used it?
« on: April 29, 2017, 00:22:41 »
Just wondering who all has used chemiclean and what kind of results you had good or bad?
I have used it twice now.  Both times it worked well to remove the red cyno.  Both times I have experienced stn within several weeks after its use.  This past time I did a water change after my skimmer stopped overflowing and started carbon.  It has only effected certain corals, seems to have effected smooth skinned corals the worst.
Tell us of your experience with it.
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: chemiclean who has used it?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 01:08:55 »
My speculation is the negative results were likely from Carbon dosing combined with use of chemiclean due to its effect on bacteria. Even if the carbon dosing was stopped weeks prior. (Just a hypothesis)

I have had good experience with the product. I dont recall ever having a negative result however i wouldnt be surprised if its use causes changes in the biofilter that can impact the health of a coral. Especially weakend ones that have poor protection from bacterias feeding on it. This is completley anecdotal thoughts.

I have seen negative impacts to corals in systems with lots of cynaobacteria. Mine included. Once clearing the cyano and going back to basics things typically recover. Although it is a slow process and sometimes coral impacts are not immediate.