2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: pH Parameters  (Read 2439 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
pH Parameters
« on: August 11, 2017, 13:45:58 »

How does this pH chart look to you vets? The quick peaks are from manual dosing in the morning and evening. I now have the DOS dosing system and dosing alk at night and Calc in the day. Should I be concerned? It seems quite low (under 8) most of the day...

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
Re: pH Parameters
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 14:09:20 »
I don't know how my 8 turned into that emoji...

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 15:04:32 »
I dont think it looks too bad.  I also swing from 7.75 to 8.2.  I had a low of 7.59 yesterday, that is concerning.  I am thinking of using kalk with my ato and using my apex to control the ph with adding kalk.  The higher the ph is maintained the better your growth will be.
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 17:58:53 »
Thanks for the info Jeff. That is precisely why I am looking into getting it more stabilized. Growth.

If you add Kalk you'd have to stop dosing whatever you're using for alk & Calc dosing wouldn't you?

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 21:08:04 »

Food for thought, I think that you need to dose Alk during the day as well. I dose my Alk heavier during the day, it's being used, dose Calc as well but at night I dial back the amount of Alk - dose a smaller amount. If I am somewhat correct your pH swing should follow your light cycle as well??? My pH swing follows my light cycle.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 22:09:59 »
boy i can only dream of a graph that looks like that.
jeff

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 23:32:04 »

My sump is in the basement and my display tank upstairs. My basement has glass block windows and two of them have the "fresh air" vent, I run a hose from one window to my skimmer air intake so that it gets fresh air and not old stuffy air -  this helps as well with the pH level.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 00:26:33 »
My tank and sump are both in my basement.  I fight low ph all the time.  probably due to using a ca reactor.  I have my skimmer intake run through a garden hose running out to the outside of my house.  It does seem to help if I leave a window open in the sump room which isnt much of a big deal in the summer but in the winter im not too sure how well that will work.  I have been contemplating adding kalk with my ato water and have my apex control adding kalk when the ph is low and ro/di water when the ph is at or above my set point.  My main concern with that idea is if something fails and the kalk isnt shut off and the tank ph goes haywire or my alk level goes off the charts.  checked tank alittle bit ago and it was already down to 7.7  I added some kalk and opened the window. should be good for the night.
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 08:35:34 »
Great info guys. You've given me some ideas to try tonight. I generally keep my house closed up all year. Air running half the year and heat half the year. So I'm sure that CO2 is my biggest problem. Gonna try a fan tonight. If that doesn't work, gonna leave a window cracked and shut the door to the room.

Rick, your chart is absolutely Sic!!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 09:38:51 »
Great info guys. You've given me some ideas to try tonight. I generally keep my house closed up all year. Air running half the year and heat half the year. So I'm sure that CO2 is my biggest problem. Gonna try a fan tonight. If that doesn't work, gonna leave a window cracked and shut the door to the room.

Rick, your chart is absolutely Sic!!

I dont think that a fan will do anything for you.  If your dealing with excess co2 you will just be blowing around co2.  You will need that fresh air.
jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 10:14:30 »
The reason I was going to use a fan is because the tank is in a back room of the lower level of my tri-level. I have the AC vent closed because it automatically stays at 72 degrees down there. So I'm suspecting stagnant, stale air in the room. You may be totally correct and it won't do anything but it would be the easiest solution. If it doesn't work, I'm gonna try cracking a window at night. If that works, I'll probably look into running my skimmer line out of the house. I really appreciate the input!