2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Apex WAV  (Read 2501 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Apex WAV
« on: November 15, 2017, 20:46:20 »
Does anyone else use these?

Offline Agame43

• Adult
Re: Apex WAV
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 21:08:06 »

I run one in my 120g MD and will put two more in the new tank once it is farther along. Once again the control from Apex is great, provides so much flexibility, this thing runs really quite and  has the auto shut off -  great gear!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 21:29:05 »
I totally agree Rick. Im sending the Gyre back and just got this today. I am so glad I did. I am amazed! The control ability through fusion is unmatched. I was just curious if anyone else used them.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 06:44:13 »
I used to use vortech’s that were also apex controlled.....I never changed the program, i don’t shut off the pumps for feeding either.  Control is not all it’s cracked up to be......   and I’m a control freak too.

I use twin maxspect gyres on the advanced control, which runs both gyres.   I went to the gyre for the smaller profile in the tank.  To me the show stopper on the WAV is lack of battery backup.   Both vortechs and the gyres can run on a 12v battery for flow during a power outage.

Offline Nbehnken

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 09:10:55 »
I run two in my tank. I started with them mounted on the back wall as suggested by Apex but it constantly blasted my sand around so I moved them to the side of the tank. I do like them more on the sides of the tank because I can run them faster and can get more flow for the SPS. The downside is they have a very narrow flow pattern so I had to work around that.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 09:38:15 »
WT, voltage is not something I’ve thought a lot about....yet. But, battery backups have been in the back of my mind. My truck has a standard outlet that I can plug an extension cord into should I have a power outage. So, I guess it’s not too much of a concern.
What model gyres do you use and do they both run off one controller? That was probably the biggest selling point for me. 1 cord and no extra controller. I got enough cords under my tank. Not to mention Neptune’s reputation.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 09:41:20 »
I run two in my tank. I started with them mounted on the back wall as suggested by Apex but it constantly blasted my sand around so I moved them to the side of the tank. I do like them more on the sides of the tank because I can run them faster and can get more flow for the SPS. The downside is they have a very narrow flow pattern so I had to work around that.
What size tank? In my 75, this pump breaks the surface from front glass to back glass as good as the Gyre did. The only dead spot I’ve noticed so far is right above it. But I’ve only got 1 right now.

Offline Nbehnken

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 11:27:33 »
I have a 93 gallon (Red Sea Reefer 450). I was getting good surface breaking but a bunch of the flow was going down the front glass and blowing around the sand. I’m pleased with the way the are now it just took time getting them to the correct position.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 11:56:22 »
WT, voltage is not something I’ve thought a lot about....yet. But, battery backups have been in the back of my mind. My truck has a standard outlet that I can plug an extension cord into should I have a power outage. So, I guess it’s not too much of a concern.
What model gyres do you use and do they both run off one controller? That was probably the biggest selling point for me. 1 cord and no extra controller. I got enough cords under my tank. Not to mention Neptune’s reputation.

I run a 12v DeepCycle marine battery for backup power for Apex/Pumps.   Here is the Gyre I use.

http://www.coralvue.com/maxspect-xf250-gyre-pump

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 17:35:01 »
$339? And you have two? Wow. Do both of them work off 1 controller?

Offline Nbehnken

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 20:25:06 »
$339? And you have two? Wow. Do both of them work off 1 controller?

Yes, they work off the one controller. They sell two and a controller as a “starter pack” for $499.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 22:51:52 »
I had the original 150 gyre, and then bought the upgraded 250 kit when it came out a year later.  The maxspect pumps come with extra impellers and bushings too.  Plus I got them on sale when they came out.  They are on map pricing, but they do run specials from time to time.

Anyway, a bit off topic to your question.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 23:36:39 »
Looks like they are having issue with them and they also are taking out the apex as well. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/stay-away-from-wav-1link-pumps-start-to-fail-after-1-year.356071/

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 11:53:05 »
There are a threads like that on the neptune forums.  But I chalk it up to bad news travel faster than good news.   Even if there are 10 threads.....I bet they have sold 1000's of pumps.

Lets look at the pumps that had problems the first year they were on the market.......  Yes even the first Vortech's were junk.  The MaxSpect Gyres were the first pump I bought as they came on the market, I was one of the lucky ones and never had a problem.  But normally I wait till something is on the market over a year before I buy it.

Anything can fail.....have some sort of redundancy and a backup plan.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 17:15:03 »
I agree 100%. First year products almost always have issues like this