2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: WTB Nano Skimmer  (Read 1382 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
WTB Nano Skimmer
« on: November 20, 2017, 18:33:14 »
I’m looking for a Skimmer for my 20L frag tank. It can be in the tank as long as the footprint is less than 4”X4” or HOB.

Offline erky

• Adult
Re: WTB Nano Skimmer
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 19:45:25 »
i have a reef octopus 100 hob

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 19:50:02 »
Hey there Erky. I was actually looking at this in the BRS sale. My tank is only 13” tall. Will it work?

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 19:54:17 »
maybe, it will def get enough water in it, but would look like a monster attacking your tank. probably a little big for it.

the pump is about 5x3 in size.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 19:59:27 »
My concern would be its ability to “hang” on the back. I’ve never used a HOB skimmer so I’m not well versed in how they work. Also, is the pump and outlet tube the only thing in the tank?

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 18:30:29 »
My concern would be its ability to “hang” on the back. I’ve never used a HOB skimmer so I’m not well versed in how they work. Also, is the pump and outlet tube the only thing in the tank?

i think it would be a little large for that size tank, they are a 3 chamber design the reef octopus 100 did my 55gal a fantastic job, it did get dirty quite fast and then wanted to over skim, the collection cup is pretty large for the size of the skimmer but i ran it pretty wet to keep nutrients as los as possible. After thinking about your tank and set up, are you sure you need a skimmer? Wouldnt a once a week 5 gal water change do you wonders in removal of waste and solids floating in the water? Even a small hob filter that was maintained would work just fine, with a little carbon in it. Not trying to change your opinion on using a skimmer, but for such a small tank controlling water quality should be pretty simple.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 18:55:03 »
I do weekly 4g water changes. I use a power filter and keep the sponge rinsed. All I have it a ton of pods and about 15 snails and caulerpa. PHos is still .40.  Thanks for the offer but you’re probably right, it’s a little large. F&S has a deal on the Hydor Nano skimmer. Think I’m gonna go with that... Thanks