2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Tank Spotlight  (Read 2662 times)

Offline erky

• Adult
Tank Spotlight
« on: December 21, 2017, 15:19:57 »
Today Im showing off this acro, I got this in a trade from Steve about 18 months ago and it has grown maybe 2 times its original size. I really like this acro its growth pattern reminds me of a tree that has exposed roots above the ground. I am not sure what acro species this is or what the hobby name is, that would be nice to know. I only have a few unnamed acros in my tank, mostly from the fiji aqua cultured boxes I ordered.

I plan to do a spotlight from time to time if this gets a good response.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Tank Spotlight
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 16:19:26 »
I think that may be the av99 green aspera. One way to tell is if the last polyp on the end of the branch is blue. Great picture, looks healthy

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 17:19:46 »
I think that may be the av99 green aspera. One way to tell is if the last polyp on the end of the branch is blue. Great picture, looks healthy

all green, i believe aspera is right next to it in the tank, i bought what i thought to be a german blue acro, but it might be the green aspera per the seller after the fact.

Offline Agame43

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 19:11:07 »

Very nice growth, my green Aspera from AV99 grows more upright at the moment? It's pretty amazing some of the growth you can get with a piece of coral if you find it's "sweet spot" in your tank. I have a WWC Green stag with yellow tips that Lazy gave out last year at Christmas with a store purchase and my single piece is now 16 branches and about 6in tall, grown like crazy. Keep the pics coming, nice to see!

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 19:41:55 »
this is what i was thinking was the aspera

was purchased as a german blue acro, not sure on this either.

i am not sold on aspera, doesnt seem like the same growth pattern as what i googled.

maybe jjoos99 can comment he knows this one as i got it from him as the german blue.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 19:57:29 »

That does look more like the German Blue acro, I have looked at getting this one as well, although I have seen another variation as well.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 20:54:50 »
That does look more like the German Blue acro, I have looked at getting this one as well, although I have seen another variation as well.

blue/green skin and green polyps, german has green skin and blue polyps, so the plot thickens!

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 21:25:53 »

This piece that I show in the attached picture was bought about 11mos ago as a 1.5in frag and you can see the difference. This is a "Tubb's Blue Steletta, blue skin and great yellow polyps, one of my favorites! I would say overall height is about 5in and several nice side "outward branches" I have cut a couple frags from it as well.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 23:10:25 »
I have to agree with lazy, It looks like the coral that I did think was the german blue and sold it several times thinking that was what it was (sorry for anyone who bought it as a german blue).  I had an almost complete tank wipe out and that coral was one of the only survivors and I always thought that it was the german blue. I was never able to get it to get the blue polyps and I thought that I just didnt have the right conditions in my system to get the blue to come out.  After selling a piece to lazy and talking with him he felt that it was indeed the av99 green aspera.  He had a green aspera already and it was the same coral.
Jeff

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 07:50:40 »
I have to agree with lazy, It looks like the coral that I did think was the german blue and sold it several times thinking that was what it was (sorry for anyone who bought it as a german blue).  I had an almost complete tank wipe out and that coral was one of the only survivors and I always thought that it was the german blue. I was never able to get it to get the blue polyps and I thought that I just didnt have the right conditions in my system to get the blue to come out.  After selling a piece to lazy and talking with him he felt that it was indeed the av99 green aspera.  He had a green aspera already and it was the same coral.
Jeff

but they both are not green aspera here, so i think the first is something else still.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 12:45:03 »
I were referring to your first picture in this thread. Here is a pic of aquavistas green aspera. Does that look like it?

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 12:47:49 »
Jeff and I were referring to your first picture in this thread. Here is a pic of aquavistas green aspera

i understand that but jeff told me that the other (the one i got from him) was probably green aspera. I got the one in the first post from someone else, see the confusion.

First pic might be green aspera, but i guess it need some more growth on it to resemble that growth pattern, it is very rounded to me and not pointy.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 12:51:22 »
The other one looks like aspera shape but looks red in the picture which is pretty awesome. AJ and I got a green tort from Steve 12-18 months ago that turned out to be identical to the av99 green aspera about 18 moths ago.